Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
random black spots

Hello,
Recently i was taking snaps of sunrise in Bengaluru and i saw these small black spots on the image, these spots are present on only some of the images. what could be these? The body is a K-50 with the Pentax 50 mm lens.
Of course iam an amatuer / beginer with using a DSLR, as you can see severe CA. any help / guidance on how i could have reduced that also would be very helpful. I have the 18-55 Kit lens and very soon the Tammy 18-200.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by sunnyswamy; 03-18-2015 at 07:32 AM. Reason: missed out the CA part
03-18-2015, 07:24 AM   #2

They look like birds to me...
But if your certain they aren't probably dust on the sensor.
03-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without question: As gwboes says, it's flock of birds in flight! Actually, it's a nice capture, and that lens shows good immunity to flare from the sun.

-Joe-
03-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, the black "spots" are actually birds. In the second one, you can see the wings on some of them.

03-18-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Yep, birds. Or possibly bats. I had a similar experience years ago with some images with unexplainable black dots all over them. Upon close examination they were bees flying all over. Totally unnoticed by me but the camera caught them.

Re the flare: That's actually not horrible for the kit lens. You could pull the purple out in Lightroom if you want. A lens hood might help.
03-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gwboes Quote
They look like birds to me...
But if your certain they aren't probably dust on the sensor.
@gwboes. Definitely not birds, but dust also iam not certain since i had changed to the 50mm lens long ago and was very careful not to to allow dust into the camera. I guess Ill give the built in dust reduction feature and check. but since this has happened to random images, i wont be sure if the dust has been removed (if there was any in the first place!!)

---------- Post added 03-18-15 at 09:13 PM ----------

@JATRAX. well most possibly bees, because i was sure that i could see no birds present there at that time there. I read some where that the 50 mm lens would not need a hood, i guess now i know better!! thank you :-)
@ k0og and CSA, thank you for the replies, I will try that light room / PS thing.
03-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
another vote for birds!
03-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Do those random images all show the sky? does that dust still show? because not that I don't believe you but they still look like birds to me. Many of them have the very same shape so I doubt it is random dust.

03-18-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Sure looks like birds to me - as csa said, you can see their wings.
03-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sunnyswamy Quote
...Definitely not birds...
Take a closer look at the 2nd photo. They look like a lot like birds. You can see wings plus a head or tail. Maybe geese flying right to left if those are heads, or some other bird flying left to right if tails. Bats could be possible but I've never seen them out during daylight.
03-18-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

A suggestion; use a program to crop an area with these "spots"; I'm sure you'll see that they are birds. I tried; but after cropping, it said that the image could not be saved.
03-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter

My vote goes with birds, probably swifts or swallows feeding on insects. This is a common occurrence for landscape photos taken near dusk. In my region large insects may also find their way into the frame

Steve
03-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sunnyswamy Quote
@JATRAX. well most possibly bees, because i was sure that i could see no birds present there at that time there. I read some where that the 50 mm lens would not need a hood, i guess now i know better!! thank you :-)
Bees in my image. But I'm 90% sure they are birds in yours. Though it might be bats. This is quite common, I often have images with dots similar to yours and think it must be dust but zoom in and it is birds. The camera captures things all the time that we do not see with our eyes. The way to be sure is to take an image of a plain blue sky at f/22 if there is any dust it will show up that way. Put the camera on a tripod and take a series of images, if there are dots and they do not move then you have dust. If there are dots but they are in different places for each shot then you have birds/bats/bees.

Re hood: All lenses benefit from a lens hood, especially when shooting into the sun. I don't take a picture without a lens hood on. Some more than others of course but there is always benefit. It also keeps the front element of your lens protected from bumps.
03-18-2015, 09:45 AM   #14
Pentaxian

They are most definitely birds or bats. They are flying around in the sky, with wings. They look like birds to me, but they are scattered around more like bats (which come out at dusk and eat bugs). In any case , they are real things out in the world you took an image of, not a problem to be solved.
03-18-2015, 10:41 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Are they in the exact same location on every photo you take with the camera? Dust doesn't tend to move between shots. Living things do.