Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K 10D finally kicked the Bucket

Ahoy fellow Pentaxians,

It appears my K10D has finally given up the ghost. If anyone has any advice or suggestions send them in or if there is a similar thread send me in the direction I need to go.

My K10D no longer talks to the lens. Regardless of what mode, Green, M, Tv, Av, etc the camera fails to register an F Stop, register the lens being used and the auto focus has become unresponsive. The camera performed flawlessly 3 days ago when I was out walking around. I went to use it yesterday and upon start up the camera would ask for a Focal Length for the SR, I would get the "F--" in Av mode and the camera would not auto focus. If switched to Manual focus the camera would fire but the F stop would be wide open and in M mode the shutter could be adjusted with the front dial but still showed F-- under aperture . My current list of lenses that I use are the DA WR 18-55, DA* 300, F 35-70. Shutter count is I think around 75,000.

My heroic efforts to solve this problem include:
- Removal of lenses on and off a few times
- Complete Reset of Camera
- Cleaning of contact points on camera and lens
- Changing preset of aperture ring in custom settings
- And sadly for the unsung hero at Pentax Customer service. My girlfriend, sensing my frustration (I swallowed my pride and just went surfing), called Pentax, to see if she could solve the problem. Unfortunately, my girlfriend hasn't a got a clue how to get around a DSLR and trying to get the Pentax rep to talk her through it was like the blind leading the blind. Bless her heart though.
- My one last try would be to reinstall the firmware

Any suggestions.... Repairing it would probably cost more then buying a used one, so I think I might be up a creek with a paddle.

Sadly I have a fond attachment to this camera, If the Pentax Gods say that it is doomed then it will be my duty to provide this camera with a proper burial. A Viking Funeral could be in the near future.......

03-19-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you have tried all regularly suggested fixes.
Just in case Pentax K10D DSLR in like-new condition with low shutter count

I should clarify that I am not the seller and am not associated with the seller. I just saw a good local deal to the OP.

Last edited by crewl1; 03-19-2015 at 09:25 AM.
03-19-2015, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any of the Pentax cameras after the K-7 will be such an improvement you'll soon be asking what K10D. P.S. I still have one too, somewhere I think. In summary recycle it responsibly or burn it on a floating barge
03-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Sounds like you have tried all regularly suggested fixes.
Just in case Pentax K10D DSLR in like-new condition with low shutter count
Excellent deal!

The funeral barge also sounds very cool!

Steve

03-19-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You don't say which lens you were using. If the F, make sure you haven't moved the aperture ring off 'A'.
03-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's unfortunate but if it's dead, it's dead.

Now everyone will tell you what to upgrade to!
A used K5IIs? I went from K10 to K5 and it's a major jump.
03-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That's too bad, with 75,000 shots under you belt is not a bad way to go, mine has a little over 20,000. I hope it takes inspiration and soldiers on.

03-19-2015, 10:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My condolences on your loss. Unfortunately, Pentax, i.e., Precision Camera, won't have parts for DSLRs over 7 years old now. Recently I called several repair places and they no longer can service any Pentax DSLRs due to no parts availability and test equipment.
03-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

From the symptoms you describe, it sounds like it would still work with M42 lenses using an adapter. There's no lens/body communication necessary for that. If you're willing to have a go at fully manual hair-shirt shooting, it could be the beginning of a whole new Takumar obsession.
03-19-2015, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Painter Quote
In summary recycle it responsibly or burn it on a floating barge
It should go something like this...

03-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It should go something like this...

Awesome clip. It was watching that scene in that movie as a teenager that began my lifelong love for the music of Richard Wagner. About the same time I got my first Pentax camera.
03-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
I figured it was doomed.... Oh well. I have already been looking on the C-list, the bay and other places and will likely upgrade.

I guess viking funeral it is. Hopefully when set a blaze it will release the demons and images Obi Wan, Yoda will appear saintly above it. Might as well film it with the GoPro too.
03-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #13

I second Dartmoor. So, before you get rid of it for good, try mounting the Pentax F 35-70mm zoom lens you have. Set the camera to manual focus, aperture-priority, move the aperture ring off the A setting to any aperture and try it. Perhaps, the K10D may still have a useful life as a last ditch backup for your Pentax system.
04-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #14

Guess what, tstaxs. I just have noticed a very intermittent incident of K10D camera and FA, FAj or F lens not talking to one another. I have Version 1.31 firmware. So far, powering off, re-seating the battery and power up worked for me, but I don't remember that this happened with my previous firmware Ver. 1.30. So, try "downgrading" the firmware just to the next lower level revision (I think I once saw instructions for downgrading here or somewhere on the web) and retry using your camera and same lenses of issue.