Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
New pentax K3 need a little help

So finally got a K3 new and a battery grip. first time with a battery grip I gather that the battery grip does not also turn camera on. I have only gotten it to work with the camera on and can not turn the system on with just the battery grip controls. Even thou the guy at the camera store told me it did I think he was just trying to sell me more stuff and no I did not buy system from local store I chose B&H got a bundle kit.

03-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is that the camera dial has to be in the on position for the grip to turn the camera on and the grip does not turn the camera off. As long as the camera dial is in the on position you wake the camera up with grip button after auto off. There may be custom settings to change this but I have never looked into that.
03-19-2015, 08:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The battery grip cannot turn the camera off and on. The main camera ON switch needs to be turned on for the battery grip ON switch to work. And yes, the grip switch cannot turn the camera off. In short, the grip switch only controls the grip, not the camera.
03-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Correct, the grip on/off, shutter and AF buttons are for making it easier while the camera is held vertically.

03-20-2015, 02:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you leave the grip turned on, and shoot horizontally, you will most likely press buttons on the grip by accident while handling the camera. I like being able to turn the grip off and disabling those buttons while leaving the camera itself on.
03-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
The battery grip cannot turn the camera off and on. The main camera ON switch needs to be turned on for the battery grip ON switch to work. And yes, the grip switch cannot turn the camera off. In short, the grip switch only controls the grip, not the camera.
Thank you I thought I was doing something wrong .

---------- Post added 03-20-15 at 09:04 AM ----------

Thank you everyone I really was wondering if I did something wrong or camera guy didn't know his stuff.