Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 07:21 AM   #1

Camera settings advice needed

I'm needing some help. A friend of mine told me he has a fox den on his property and asked if I would like to go photograph it. Of course I said HECK YEAH. as my forum name indicates I'm new to digital. So here's the problem. The longest focal length lens I have is the SMC DA1:4-5.6 50-200mm ED WR. I have a Focal MC 2x converter. I know it doesn't support the auto focus. and I'm not sure what other problems I could run into. with the F- stops and such. what shooting mode should I set the camera at. should I raise or lower an f stop? I'd like to have the camera do as much of the settings as possible so I can concentrate on composition. This might be a day of learning but Its unlikely I'll get a second chance at these photo. any advice would be greatly welcome.

03-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It will likely be dim conditions, so I'd start at ISO 800 or so. Put the mode dial on P. The converter will make it almost impossible to see through the viewfinder, and you will probably get the same results through cropping the image a little.
03-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, thanks.. This should be fun.
03-21-2015, 05:07 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Don't be afraid of going to higher ISO values. The K-5 does quite well up to ISO 6400. Lower is always better, but noisy pictures can be fixed (to a certain extent). Blurring from too slow shutter speeds can't.

And I don't think I would use the converter in low light. It eats too much light to be of much help.

Good luck!

03-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok.. I was wondering about the loss of light I know on my old manual body it was a problem..
03-24-2015, 07:31 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree I would leave the teleconverter off. I always start at f8, you might need to open up a little, but depending on light conditions you might be able to get ISO 800 at f8 to work pretty well. Get as close as you can without disturbing them. We have a fox living around here somewhere but I haven't found where yet. I've seen one run by several times, never got a shot so far...I'm wondering if a flash might be useful...I know it will get red eye, but might light things up, that's a really low light situation otherwise.
03-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
These are living in a ravine. I might be able to get above them but that still won't help the low light problem.