Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2015, 08:46 AM   #1

Pentax-Super-A only works 50% of the time

Hey there guys, I'm very new to using a film camera and recently went out and got a Pentax-Super-A off ebay, it didn't come with a lens so I got one seperately also off e-bay.The lens is a SMC Pentax A 50MM F2.

Now like I said i'm pretty new with this whole thing and read on the manual to have the Aperture ring set to the 'A' for the automatic mode. Great. So I do that and on comes the camera like it says it should with LCD on top of the camera reading "P -" I go and press down the shutter button halfway down and the LCD changes the display to show the shutter speed etc. all working great.

However the problem is around half the time I try and take a picture, as soon as i switch from the L locked mode to the Auto, the LCD display goes blank, there's no P or no "-" that is displayed when it's on locked mode and pressing the shutter button does nothing and is unable to take any pictures. I have no idea why this happens and i was hoping someone may be able to help me.

Sometimes when I switch it to Auto and it seems to be working, i'll then start to take a picture and get it in focus only to press the shutter button and absolutely nothing to happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - i've attatched some pictures to hopefully show what I mean better.

Thanks all.

(I dunno if you can see clearly in the photos but it shows a dash (-) in the LCD when its on Locked mode and when it goes to Auto the whole screen goes blank as if its off)

Attached Images

03-20-2015, 09:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be low batteries, a poor connection in the battery compartment, or dirty contacts in the switch. If it is dirty contacts in the switch, exercising the switch by rotating it many times could clean it up. Good luck with it.
03-20-2015, 11:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I suspect low battery and/or poor power connection (corrosion in battery compartment or bad wire from the battery compartment). Silver cells should be used in strong preference over alkaline cells. I have my Super Program (same as Super A) in hand and this is how its top LCD behaves:

Locked: blank

P mode (Standby): P

P mode (Active): P + shutter speed

Av mode (Standby): blank

Av mode (Active): shutter speed

Sv mode (Standby/Active): shutter speed

M mode (Standby/Active): shutter speed

The "-" on the top LCD indicates the shutter is cocked.

For low battery, the internal LCD display will be alternating "ooo" in the viewfinder.

In case you need a copy of the manual, one is available at the Butkus site (donation appreciated):

Pentax Super Program, pentax super A,

I hope you find a solution.
03-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies, I got some new batteries and tried it out and pretty much the same thing has happened. I did notice however that sometimes when the 'P -' would come up on the LCD that it was when i would half press the shutter button for it to display the shutter speed that it would then turn off and not come back on again?

Is there anyway I can easily check the connection in side the camera? I currently have half a used film inside?

Thanks all

03-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #5

I bought a nice looking Super A, but it wasn't that easy to use. Half pressing the shutter was tricky, either it went off or did nothing. I handed it in to a skilled camera technician for a general overhaul, and got an "as new" camera back! He had cleaned and lubricated it (inside), obviously very needed. It wasn't very expensive, and for sure worth the cost.

Kjell
03-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by walchan Quote
I did notice however that sometimes when the 'P -' would come up on the LCD that it was when i would half press the shutter button for it to display the shutter speed that it would then turn off and not come back on again?
It should come on and stay on for about a minute and then turn itself off. Another half-press should turn it back on again.

Steve