Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sensor marks

I have a dark mark on my pics which I am told is from sensor debris

03-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Which camera model? All recent Pentax models can vibrate the sensor to remove dust. It's buried in the menus. Check your camera manual.

If the built in cleaning still leaves dust then there's another menu function to lift the mirror and open the shutter so you can access the sensor. Get a "rocket blower" to blow away the dust. Never use canned air because it can leave propellant residue. If dust is still visible after using the rocket blower a few times, you can escalate to a sensor cleaning kit or bring it in to a camera shop.

Post a sample pic and we can confirm that it's sensor dust.
03-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dust removal procedure in order:
1) Use the camera dust removal system. There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and I think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
2) Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances but YMMV.
3) Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
4) Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.

Easiest way to check for dust is to set your aperture to f/22 or so and take an image of the sky. Dust on the sensor is more visible at smaller apertures.
03-23-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

I also have something on the sensor, but have not tried the dust removal function. It looks like hair in this picture
The M42 adapter is the one to blame. It's faster with a K lens.

Attached Images

03-23-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
The M42 adapter is the one to blame. It's faster with a K lens.
I don't understand what you mean.
QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
but have not tried the dust removal function.
That really should be set to run on start up or run on shutdown, your preference. It's one of the first settings I change on a new camera. It really does make a difference over time by keeping the crud off before it has a chance to get glued on and require more drastic measures.
03-23-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Dust removal procedure in order:
1) Use the camera dust removal system. There is a menu setting to turn on/off. If you have dust run this several times in a row and then check for dust again. I leave mine on "run on startup" and I think that is best so you don't have to worry about it.
2) Use a 'rocket blower' or equivalent to blow off anything the shaker will not get rid of. Do not use compressed air or canned air. Some folks report it is OK to use canned air if you are careful, personally I'm not taking any chances but YMMV.
3) Use a wet cleaning kit. This is the last resort, and on two cameras with over 25,000 actuations in all kinds of environments I've never had to use one yet. Get this if all else fails but don't go there unless you are sure you need it.
4) Send in for professional cleaning. Pentax extended warranty (in the US) includes one 'free' cleaning. Not sure about anywhere else.

Easiest way to check for dust is to set your aperture to f/22 or so and take an image of the sky. Dust on the sensor is more visible at smaller apertures.
I agree with all that, one note is that a local camera shop might be able to do wet cleaning locally. Just make sure they will take responsibility if they damage something.
03-24-2015, 05:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks to all who responded I have posted a photo for ID purposes

03-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Honestly this'll happen naturally on any camera, I'd really recommend just investing in a rocket blower for sheer convenience. Works for me every time, be sure to get a big one though.