Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #1

Card issues with my K5IIs

Hi Folks,

Anyone have any issues with their cameras (my K5IIs) not reading their camera cards right? I keep getting "Memory Card Error" no matter what card I put in there be it full, no images, or my (hope this didn't break it) my new wifi Toshiba card. Thoughts?

Please help.

Thanks,

Ron

03-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you checked the cards in another camera or computer?
03-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Card errors are fairly rare. Open the SD door on the camera and inspect the area carefully, make sure there is no debris or dirt there. Check the cards to see if any have broken edges. Do the cards read OK in the computer? Have you formatted the cards in the camera? Do they work in a different camera?
03-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ronuser Quote
I keep getting "Memory Card Error" no matter what card I put in there be it full, no images, or my (hope this didn't break it) my new wifi Toshiba card. Thoughts?
Is there any chance, any chance at all that your card was used on a card reader and was not properly ejected (unmounted) before removing the card? Alternatively, was your card ever formatted with your computer's operating system software?

If the answer is yes to either question, download the formatting software from the SD Association Web site and use it to format your card.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

Once done, the camera should recognize your card and you can reformat using the camera.

Steve

03-23-2015, 04:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Have you checked the cards in another camera or computer?
Yep...they all work fine in my K30 and PC. Sending it in.

---------- Post added 03-23-15 at 05:29 PM ----------

To clarify, I shoot a fair amount and have 8-9 different SD cards. 5-6 gave me the same message whether they had images on them, or not. All of those cards worked fine in my k30 and pc. I also checked the lock on them, camera door and as much as I could see in the slot. A repair guy I know said it's not uncommon for a contact inside to go. He was referring to the 35's slr in general, not just Pentax. Well see. Ricoh told me to send it to a shop in Conn called Precision camera. Still under Warranty. I'll keep you all posted, thanks - Ron
03-24-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried formatting at least one of the cards in question using the K5iis?

You never mentioned the capacity of the cards. I mention this because it catches my attention that the cards work on a K30 but not on a K5iis. It looks like both cameras should support SDXC cards, but perhaps only after firmware updates? It does seem odd.
03-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
The cards range from 1 - 64gb. All fine in the other camera and PC. Unable to format in the K5, or click with. It's at the repair shop :-(