Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2015, 03:02 AM   #1

Pentax 645 with issues

Hi

I am in need of a bit of expertise, my first SLR was a Pentax MV back in 1981 and since then I've owned and used LX and MX cameras, recently I bought a Pentax 645 which I am having issues with. When I put batteries in the grip, (fresh batteries), the camera switches on, the following data is present on the data screen M 1000, and f16 1000 in red in the corner of the veiwfinder. The lens is set correctly with A locked and I have loaded the film in the insert too. When I depress the shutter half way, the data appears in the viewfinder, if I further press the shutter button fully, the data in the vewfinder disapears and the camera does nothing, no shutter fire and/or wind on. I believe that the camera only full activates once frame 1 is wound on to but the camera will not wind on to the first frame no matter waht I do, I have swithed it on and off in varied ways with no result, are there any members who have knowledge to this problem. Incidentally, the shutter indicator window indicates that the shutter is actually cocked. Any advice or help greatly accepted

kind regards Mike

03-25-2015, 04:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lxmike Quote
Hi

I am in need of a bit of expertise, my first SLR was a Pentax MV back in 1981 and since then I've owned and used LX and MX cameras, recently I bought a Pentax 645 which I am having issues with. When I put batteries in the grip, (fresh batteries), the camera switches on, the following data is present on the data screen M 1000, and f16 1000 in red in the corner of the veiwfinder. The lens is set correctly with A locked and I have loaded the film in the insert too. When I depress the shutter half way, the data appears in the viewfinder, if I further press the shutter button fully, the data in the vewfinder disapears and the camera does nothing, no shutter fire and/or wind on. I believe that the camera only full activates once frame 1 is wound on to but the camera will not wind on to the first frame no matter waht I do, I have swithed it on and off in varied ways with no result, are there any members who have knowledge to this problem. Incidentally, the shutter indicator window indicates that the shutter is actually cocked. Any advice or help greatly accepted

kind regards Mike
Did you put film in the camera and is it inserted correctly? I don't believe the 645 will fire without it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
Many thanks for your reply, yes the film was inserted correctly, sadly the 6645 is still not working
03-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #4

i think the film question was fair enough given that film is loaded the opposite direction of what some may expect. That said it definitely seems to be electrical. It can have trouble with film advancement if batteries are about dead, but you mentioned new batteries, so the next step would be to make sure to examine and clean all the electrical contacts.

03-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
thanks for the replies chaps, sadly after a chat with a Pentax technician and a chat with the original seller, the camera has been returned and a refund to be given on its safe arrival
03-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by lxmike Quote
thanks for the replies chaps, sadly after a chat with a Pentax technician and a chat with the original seller, the camera has been returned and a refund to be given on its safe arrival
Well best of luck on your search for another one. There are plenty of of the original 645s out there quite inexpensively. I'd spring for the the N if you can though.
03-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnsey Quote
Well best of luck on your search for another one. There are plenty of of the original 645s out there quite inexpensively. I'd spring for the the N if you can though.
many thanks, I have just had an email back from the seller which states he put batteries in on its return and it powered up and advance the frame to 1 and the camera is working, I trust the seller so my question is this could l have put the batteries in in such a way as that it powers up the lcd screen but not the shutter, i.e does one half of the battery chamber power the lcd screen and the other the shutter, or was my freshly bought batteries actually not that fresh....or was it merely human error on my part l have contacted the seller tosay l will have the camera back and happily pay postage