Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
You are sure you know where to put it? Or do you need a manual for that as well? You are a rude prick as far as I can tell.
I am actually a very nice person. I'm sorry that I lashed out at you. I just did not see the point at the time. I was wrong and I'm sorry.

04-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Firstly Antonio, Gmans was trying to help you and your reply was very ungracious. We all understand that it is frustrating and upsetting for you, but there is no call to lash out at people you ask for help.

If you have turned off the auto focus mode of the camera, it will not auto focus. QED. Which is what you seem to be saying with this response. The switch needs to be pointing to the green AF position for the camera's electronics to talk to the lens. (I know this sounds obvious, but it seems to be what you are saying, and you began by stating the K-3 was 'too complicated to understand')

Even with the switch set to MF, the red auto focus confirmation light should be found in the viewfinder as you manually focus on something. Is this happening? Is the auto focus confirmation beep audible?

You say the lens is stopped down too far for the AF module to get enough light with which to focus, but you don't say why it is so stopped down. What f stop are you using? Why are you dialing in a user mode on the command dial? what happens if you turn the dial to full auto 'green' mode?
Thanks, wizofoz, but I do understand the basics of the camera operation. It just has so many functions that I wanted some advice as to what means what, and what a suggested setting is for all of the options-- that's why I started taking a class.

It seems that Steve has hit the nail on the head and solved the problem. Now I just need to get it repaired.

Take good care,

~Antonio
04-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be a defective lens... do you have another lens to try? With the k-mount lens, the camera operates with wide-open aperture metering and focusing. It does not matter if you stopped down the aperture or not, it should still focus. Also, what focusing method you are using on the camera, are you allowing the camera to auto-focus and selecting focus points.
04-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Antonio, if the lens is the problem, there is an easy way to find out. Spend $20-50 and buy any cheap K mount AF lens you can find quickly and nearby. It shouldn't be hard to find a K mount lens in LA. The camera will either work with the other lens or it wont. Either way, you get another lens to play with, so you still have something to practice with while your 18-135 gets repaired (if that is indeed the problem)

---------- Post added 2nd Apr 2015 at 17:06 ----------

An even better idea would be to take your camera to a camera shop which has some pentax lenses and see if the AF works. I believe this mob should serve your purposes Lenses

04-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks wizofoz and aleonx3. I will get to a store tomorrow and try it out! Very good advice!
04-04-2015, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
It's the lens, not the camera!

Today, I took the camera and lens into a camera shop. There, I determined that it was the lens and not the camera.

@wizofoz
Can you recommend a specific lens from a specific place to buy it where I could get a lens for $20 or so?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.
04-05-2015, 02:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Antonio, you need to look on eBay ( or at my collection of El cheapo lenses) there are hundreds of lenses for sale around the $20-50 mark, just do a little research.