Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2015, 01:56 AM   #1

K-3 will not autofocus

Hello –

I am having a problem with my Pentax K3, specifically with the autofocus system. When I try to take a photo, the lens focus searches for focus but somehow doesn't find it. When I half-press the shutter button, or even when I fully press it, it will not take a picture and it shows the green hexagon flashing in the viewfinder. I tried turning the camera to manual focus and taking a picture and this seems to work, so I have narrowed it down to the autofocus mechanism or AF System in general. Here's the background, if it is helpful at all in determining what might be going on.

I just received the Pentax K-3 for my birthday in February, and took some pictures when I received it. Then, I found it too complicated to understand and the book by Yvonne was no help at all. So, I put it away in a safe place until the time when I would have more time to devote to learning it and taking a class to do so. However I started class on Wednesday night and attempted to take some photos, but there was something wrong with the autofocus mechanism. Unfortunately, the instructor is basically no help when it comes to Pentex cameras. The only thing that we could determine is that there is something wrong with the autofocus.

I tried calling Pentax technical support and they were basically useless. The first guy, after some prodding and requesting, finally agreed to help me with it – by telling me to reset it – but then left me to my own devices to figure out how to work it out to fix it. The second rep that I spoke to was a little more helpful and friendly and she helped me reset both places where there is a reset option on my camera. This was no help.

I do not know where I should turn or how to get help with this other than these forums. To recap, the camera will not take a picture and the autofocus indicator in viewfinder – the flashing green hexagon – is showing. I have reset it in both places where the reset option is available – two places. It still will not take a picture unless I put it into manual focus mode and then it does just fine.

The reason I chose this camera was partially because of its autofocus mechanism, and it's ability to work in low light situations, so I don't think the low light is an issue, at least it shouldn't be, and I took a low light picture previously.

Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your kind consideration of my post and my issue. I look forward to, and will await your reply.

~AntonioD

03-27-2015, 02:13 AM   #2
Forum Member

Sounds like dust on the AF sensor/prism! So don't panic, the smallest spec can hinder the AF.

What to do: put the camera into "clean sensor" mode from the menu, (with a fully charged battery) once the mirror is in the up position you can see the AF prism at the bottom of the housing , it has a curved surface and is about ten millimeters by five. If you have a lens cleaning cloth or something of that vain wipe gently the surface checking to see if any dust remains. I don't recommend cotton buds as they can leave filaments. After, switch off the camera, switch back on and test.
Normally this will do the job and takes only a few minutes, I have to do every so often!
03-27-2015, 02:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is happening if you do use the AF button on the rear?
What Firmware are you using? Try to update if not already.
Does it autofocus at all?

if it does autofocus, you could use a workaround and change the setting AF.S Setting in Custom Menu (C3) to release priority.
could it be that you have selected one of the af points an the side of the frame?

Last edited by max_pyne; 03-29-2015 at 04:06 AM.
03-27-2015, 04:23 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioD Quote
I do not know where I should turn or how to get help with this other than these forums. To recap, the camera will not take a picture and the autofocus indicator in viewfinder – the flashing green hexagon – is showing. I have reset it in both places where the reset option is available – two places. It still will not take a picture unless I put it into manual focus mode and then it does just fine.
Can I ask what lens you're using with it? Is the K3 the only Pentax camera you have - has the lens been used on another camera? Item 15 in the settings "AF.S Setting" allows you to set the camera to "release priority" rather than the default "focus priority". That will allow you to take a photo even though the camera hasn't achieved a focus lock. Does it make any difference what subject you use or what lighting conditions are involved? Is the battery fully charged? Have you tried different focus patterns; 27 point, 9 point, centre point? Have you tried AF.A, AF.S and AF.C? Do you have more than one lens and can you try a different lens? Does it focus in live view?

Essentially you need to determine whether the lens may be causing the problem, or the camera is causing the problem. Just to be clear - the camera is causing the lens to focus in and out, but it never finds focus? Is that correct?

03-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What lens are you using it with? Does it even attempt to focus when you press the shutter button? If not then the AF toggle switch maybe set to manual on the camera. When you say you can take pictures in manual mode, do you mean when you set to M on the model dial? Or putting AUtofocus switch to Manual mode?
Also what is your prior knowledge with DSLRs of any kind? That will help to troubleshoot better. Calling Pentax reps for this issue is not gonna help.
My k3 focuses in literally pitch dark. No kidding. Maybe find a fellow forum member living in LA to help you out with the settings? There is a very active SoCal group who will gladly help you.
03-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #6

Antonio, sorry to hear that. It must be quite disappointing.
Maybe we can help you better if you answer a few questions:

* Is it a new or a used camera?
* Which lens are you using?
* Is it a new or used lens?
* Is your battery fully charged?
* Does your lens have dedicated AF/MF switches?
* By "manual mode", do you mean M on the mode dial or the MF switch on the side?
* Which position was the mode dial in when you succesfully took a picture?
* Did you try a factory reset?
* Did you insert an SD card?
* Which slot does the SD card reside in?
* What did you try to take a photo of when it didn't work (especially, how close was it to your lens)?

Hope we can help you
03-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The first question that came to mind was choice of subject. If there is nothing to focus on (say blank wall or open sky), the camera will not focus.
The setup below should allow you to tell if the AF system is working:
  • AF switch on body set to on
  • AF switch on lens (for lenses having such) set to on
  • AF mode set to defaults (27 points, AF-S)
  • High contrast simple subject with detail positioned to center of frame
  • Good light, say outside during the day in open shade
Under those conditions the camera should be able to attain focus.

If the green hexagon is flashing, it means that none of the focus points can attain focus. This may be due to the subject (no detail to focus on), atmospheric conditions (fog), or subject is closer than the lens minimum focus distance. This, of course, assumes that the lens AF mechanism functioning properly and that the lens is properly coupled to the camera. Do you see the image going into and out of focus in the viewfinder?

So...(as noted above)...what lens are you using? If the lens came with the camera as a kit and both were purchased new, the AF should work like a charm. Any failure would be something to take up with the dealer. Most will allow return for exchange within 30-60 days. If either your camera or lens were purchased used, all bets are off.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-27-2015 at 08:54 AM.
04-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #8

Original Poster
Pentax Autofocus Problem

This now seems to be an issue with the aperture not opening. That is why it could not auto focus; because the lens couldn't get enough light in. As well, it seems to be associated with me changing my camera to P mode.

Okay you guys, I really do appreciate all of your responses to my dilemma. As one post said it is quite disconcerting to not have my new camera working. I took it to a repair shop today and the guy was kind of weird – he started off by telling me there was sand on my grip of my loans which there wasn't because I have not ever taken it to the beach and I don't have sand in my house. I also had the instructor of my photography class look at it but he is not that familiar with Pentex cameras. However, he did determine that the reason it was not focusing is because the aperture is dialed all the way down to almost closed.

I simply don't know what to do; I have tried everything. So, I will answer your questions below and hopefully this will give you some information to guide me. Thank you for your help.

* Is it a new or a used camera?
This is supposed to be a new camera. However I bought it on Amazon from a non-Pentax approved the seller, unbeknownst to me at the time. I am dubious about its origin because it did not come with the user manual. However I was able to take pictures with it when I first got it so I don't know what's going on at this point.

* Which lens are you using?
The lens I am using is a Pentax 18 to 135 mm. It is supposed to be one of the kit lenses that is offered by Pentax.

* Is it a new or used lens?
I think that is a new lens and as I said before I've taken pictures with it but please see my previous answer from my doubts about its origins.

* Is your battery fully charged?
The battery is fully charged and I also have the extended battery holder/grip for it.

* Does your lens have dedicated AF/MF switches?
No, I don't see any switches on the lens. The only autofocus / manual focus switch is on the camera itself.

* By "manual mode", do you mean M on the mode dial or the MF switch on the side?
By manual mode I was talking about the switch on the side.

* Which position was the mode dial in when you succesfully took a picture?
Previously, I did not encounter this problem. In retrospect, it was after my instructor told me to put my camera in P mode. However, now that I put it back in my U1 mode, I was just able to take a picture. Although the apperture still did not open – it's like a pinhole, so it was a long exposure but I did get a photo.

* Did you try a factory reset?
I don't know what the factory reset procedure is. Although I did find whatever reset options I could and selected them to reset whatever it could.

* Did you insert an SD card?
Yes.

* Which slot does the SD card reside in?
Slot 1

* What did you try to take a photo of when it didn't work (especially, how close was it to your lens)?
When I couldn't get the picture of the camera to take a picture, I was in a somewhat dark classroom, taking a picture of the whiteboard. None of my classmates had any difficulty with this and they had various brands of cameras.

Please let me know what I should do next. I appreciate your help. Take good care,

~Antonio
04-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This might help see the manual link below.
Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
04-01-2015, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

. I am dubious about its origin because it did not come with the user manual. However I was able to take pictures with it when I first got it so I don't know what's going on at this point.
I read your post, you said you had no manual, so now print your manual and stick where the sun don't shine.
04-01-2015, 09:35 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, he did determine that the reason it was not focusing is because the aperture is dialed all the way down to almost closed.
The aperture diaphragm is supposed to be open except for during the exposure itself.
  • With the lens off the camera, the diaphragm should be closed to its narrowest opening
  • Moving the lever on the back of the lens mount should open and close the diaphragm. This action should be smooth and without binding or hesitation.
  • When the lens is mounted to the camera the aperture should open fully as it is rotated on to mount
  • The normal "resting" state of the aperture diaphragm when on the camera is full open
If your diaphragm is not working properly, I suspect there may be other issues with the lens. Are you able to hear the AF motor when attempting AF? Does the image in the viewfinder change at all when attempting focus? Does the AF work in Live View? If no to any of the questions (assuming you don't have hearing problems), it is likely that a fault with the lens is the cause.

Steve
04-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
I read your post, you said you had no manual, so now print your manual and stick where the sun don't shine.
Thank you. I already had the manual printed and bound at a print shop.
04-01-2015, 09:47 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you, Stevebrot. That is the problem, then. The lever is not opening and closing the diaphragm. I found a guy named Eric mentioned here on the forum, so I was thinking about sending it to him.
04-01-2015, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

You are sure you know where to put it? Or do you need a manual for that as well? You are a rude prick as far as I can tell.
04-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Firstly Antonio, Gmans was trying to help you and your reply was very ungracious. We all understand that it is frustrating and upsetting for you, but there is no call to lash out at people you ask for help.
Any help that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your kind consideration of my post and my issue.
By manual mode I was talking about the switch on the side.
If you have turned off the auto focus mode of the camera, it will not auto focus. QED. Which is what you seem to be saying with this response. The switch needs to be pointing to the green AF position for the camera's electronics to talk to the lens. (I know this sounds obvious, but it seems to be what you are saying, and you began by stating the K-3 was 'too complicated to understand')

Even with the switch set to MF, the red auto focus confirmation light should be found in the viewfinder as you manually focus on something. Is this happening? Is the auto focus confirmation beep audible?

You say the lens is stopped down too far for the AF module to get enough light with which to focus, but you don't say why it is so stopped down. What f stop are you using? Why are you dialing in a user mode on the command dial? what happens if you turn the dial to full auto 'green' mode?