Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sand Damage - K100D

Strange, I can't belive this hasen't been discussed before but I can not seem to find it via search.

I am on vacation at Hilton Head anmd may have caused some sand damage to my camera. When swivel the preview switch forward (on the shutter release) I can feel that sand has intruded under the switch. After playing with it a few times and blowing it out, it now seems to work but I can still tell there is sand under the switch. The shutter button seems to work ok, but noticed a similar but somewhat less problematic symptom from it.

Now the question. Can I use contact cleaner spray to blow out the sand or will I be better using simple compressed air? Should I do either?

Thanks!

06-07-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I'm the only dumbass to get sand in a camera, eh?
06-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I never had that problem before, but I don't think shooting air (at a reasonable pressure level) would hurt it. Contact cleaner could be used to finish the job. If it was inside the camera, it would be a different story...
06-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd try the air first, and then the contact cleaner.

When you get back you may want to contact Pentax and see if they can clean it affordably.

I have a lens full of sand (given to me that way) but I've thankfully never had a camera that way.

06-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #5
jdg
Forum Member

If you blow air or contact cleaner into the shutter/power button will the sand or contact cleaner fluid make its way inside the camera and cause further damage?
06-09-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Try simple compressed air as a temp relief then ASAP have the Pentax service center thoroughly clean and fine tune the camera because once sand gets in, it travels via the internal fluids, places where compressed air will not be able to clean. it has to be stripped down and cleaned.

I've done sand in the camera with my film gear.
06-09-2008, 04:19 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My main concern would be the sand getting in and ground around internally. Not only will it damage the internal components (like sandpaper!), but the sand will break down and float around inside the camera, along with the stuff it ground up. I would send it in. I feel for you!

06-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey,

I've been searching for an exploded view of the K100D, only found the K10D,
http://dbsi.org/dist/pentax-k10d-parts-list-and-exploded-diagram.tif

Maybe an e-mail to this guy could help as well,
FUJI S602

All success, Georg (the other)
06-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #9

I would not use contact cleaner in fear that it could damage plastic. A safer bet would be compressed air only.