Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Flashing F--

I have a Pentax K200 that I've had for years. Yesterday, my husband turned it on and he got a flashing F-- and the camera won't take any photos. We hadn't changed the lens, SD card or batteries. Not sure why it's doing this.
I took out the batteries and replaced them, removed the lens and replaced it, switched it from automatic focus to manual focus, but the "F--" is still flashing. Please help!

03-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What lens is it? It sounds like the contacts between the camera body and lens are dirty so the camera thinks you have a manual lens on it. You either need to enable to function that allows you to use manual lenses or try to clean the contacts.
03-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
03-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #4

If it is an "A" type lens check to see if it is set to "A".

If it is a manual lens with aperture ring without an "A" setting go into the setup menu and set "Use aperture ring" to "enabled". The wording of the actual choice may differ but you should get the idea.

See also
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-man...ic-lenses.html

03-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since it worked before the most likely explanation is that the aperture ring was bumped off the 'A' setting, just put it back.

If that does not work (or if the lens has no aperture ring) then take off the lens and gently buff the gold contacts on the lens and the camera with a microfiber cloth.
03-30-2015, 03:12 AM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

had the same message on my K-50:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/288066-f-message-my-k-50-a.html
03-30-2015, 05:53 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, I removed the lens and cleaned it, as suggested. When I replaced it, however, I still got the Flashing F--.
So, I tried another lens and that one was fine. I cleaned the first one again (my F1.4/50mm) and tried it and now it works.

---------- Post added 03-30-15 at 07:53 AM ----------

Thanks so much for your help!

10-16-2015, 06:23 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by leigh Quote
I have a Pentax K200 that I've had for years. Yesterday, my husband turned it on and he got a flashing F-- and the camera won't take any photos. We hadn't changed the lens, SD card or batteries. Not sure why it's doing this.
I took out the batteries and replaced them, removed the lens and replaced it, switched it from automatic focus to manual focus, but the "F--" is still flashing. Please help!
Verify the HDR isn't on. that was the solution to my F -- flashing issue.

---------- Post added 10-16-15 at 07:17 PM ----------

this happened after adjusting the scene. If was set to HDR and Aperature ring NOT on A caused the F - - issue. Readjusted after finding this thread. Removed HDR setting and rest ring to A. Viola!
10-16-2015, 11:57 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jrbettis Quote
Verify the HDR isn't on. that was the solution to my F -- flashing issue.

---------- Post added 10-16-15 at 07:17 PM ----------

this happened after adjusting the scene. If was set to HDR and Aperature ring NOT on A caused the F - - issue. Readjusted after finding this thread. Removed HDR setting and rest ring to A. Viola!
Welcome to the Pentax forums!

The two (F-- and HDR) are not directly related to each other. Here are a few bullet points:
  • When F-- displays instead of the aperture, it indicates that the camera is not able to detect a lens with "A" contacts and is not able to control the lens aperture from the body
  • A flashing or blinking display indicates light conditions beyond the camera's meter or exposure capabilities with the current settings. You can get a blinking display with HDR turned on if there is too much or too little light to support all of the exposures needed to generate the composite image. You can also get a blinking display if there is too much or too little light for a single exposure (HDR off).
  • Getting rid of the blink depends on the cause. A change of mode, ISO, or lighting usually works.

Steve