Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

Sensor shift gone wrong :(

I noticed something odd while shooting in live view mode - it was shaky, but not in a way I've seen before.
I looked inside and noticed that the sensor had somehow shifted out of position and it was jiggling about 2.5 times a second.

Turning on/off shake reduction didn't work,
Attempting to physically shift it back into place just made it worse

Now every long exposure or video is shaky. Is there a fix to this?

Sample of a 1 second exposure from a perfectly flat surface. below

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can not advise on what the cause may be, neither can I advise on a solution but I will offer the following observations.

Poking around inside the camera and attempting to manipulate the sensor is NOT a good idea.
Long exposures using a tripod or placing the camera on a stable surface should have SR turned off.

The only user remedy I can think of is to turn the camera off.
Remove battery.
Recharge battery fully.
Replace battery.
Ensure Camera firmware is up to date.

If problems persist return the camera to an authorised repair centre.

Good luck
04-03-2015, 12:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have the same problem with my k-5
The only way i can make it stop is to slap it. Then its ok for a 1-10 shots.

It dont anything with having sr on for long exposures as previous poster talked about. It happens even when i have sr off.
I tried updateing firmware. Battery removed for a solid month, etc etc.
But i dont feel like sending it for repair when im gona get the ff
04-03-2015, 01:33 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I have the same from time to time. Slapping it, or turning it quickly off and on again, will make it go away.

04-03-2015, 05:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow. I've never seen this happen with 5 pentax bodies. I'd send that bad boy into the doctor!

I just knocked on wood on that one.
04-03-2015, 05:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I just knocked on wood on that one.
No you are supposed to slap-on-camera

Agree, BTW, that a service call is in order.

Steve
04-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gyozaman Quote
I noticed something odd while shooting in live view mode - it was shaky, but not in a way I've seen before.
BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Is it safe to assume that the above is a full resolution crop? As noted above, when shooting other than hand-held, SR should be turned off. The easiest way to do this is with the 2-second delay (self-timer) on the shutter release. This amount of blur at full resolution with SR on tripod is not unusual.

If you are seeing the same behavior with video, that would indicate a fault in the SR system since the mechanical SR is supposed to be disabled on your camera when in video mode.

Steve
04-03-2015, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Note that when SR is turned off, the SR motors are still activated to hold the sensor in a fixed position. That's why some Pentax cameras make a "clunk" when the camera is moved while off; it's the sensor shifting around while the motors have no power.

If an SR motor is broken then it might cause shake even when SR is turned off. To test, disable SR and put the camera on a sturdy tripod. Use the 2 second delay timer or a remote shutter release to prevent shake. Take a dozen pictures and pixel peep check for a problem.

Take some images in landscape and some in portrait orientation to see if the blur direction rotates 90 degrees.

Also, try a different lens because maybe one of the lens elements might have come loose inside. A lens alignment problem could create symptoms that look like camera shake.

04-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I will see if i can upload a video of the problem again and show you that its not just a minor shake the sensor does
04-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
The sensor moves like this everytime it's 'open' (If you know what I mean by that). Even with just the sensor cleaning mode on. So I think it's a SR problem. Thanks everyone for the advice.