Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2015, 03:04 AM   #1

Auto Chinon 50mm f1.7 not getting along with my K-50

Hey guys! I'm hoping that someone my be able to shed some light on a issue I'm having with a particular lens. The lens in question is an Auto Chinon 50mm f1.7 with a k mount. I'm using this lens on a K-50. So here's the situation. I will attach the lens with no issue. It turns on nice and smooth with no binding or sensation of drag. It clicks into place firmly. I power up the camera. The K-50 is set up in "M"mode, manual focus is selected. I set the lens aperture to desired setting. Push the green button and take a picture. Perfect!! Looks amazing! (Love the images this lens captures). Ok so I continue to shoot, push the green button hear the shutter....as I'm looking through the viewfinder I see the shutter or something move slightly and then the image goes blurry. I try to take a picture and the shutter engages twice. I try to push the green button again and it does its thing but then I hear the shutter again shortly after and the viewfinder is again blurry. I shut off the camera and the shutter engages. What's even more strange is that the camera doesn't fully shut off. The display inside the viewfinder is still on. Only after I remove the battery does it fully power down. I turn the camera back on and the shutter again engages while the focal length selection menu is displayed. It is only this lens! I have about six other manual focus lenses and just as many AF lenses that all work flawlessly. I'm thinking that somehow the mirror may be hitting the rear element. I have only been able to reliably use this lens while its attached to a teleconverter. I'm pretty bummed, anyone else have any idea on how I can make this lens work without the gremlins ruining the party?? Thanks in advance!

04-03-2015, 04:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi! I never encounter such an error with manual K-mount lenses. What you have describes it sounds for me like something is shortening the electric contacts in a wrong way.... It would probably easier to sort out what's the problem, if you could post a photo of mount of the lens. More experienced users will correct me if I'm wrong...

There are some K-mount Chinon lenses with electric contacts - is yours a "flat" manual K-mount lense?

is this lens?
(photos from google image search)

Last edited by Caver; 04-03-2015 at 04:42 AM. Reason: added some info
04-03-2015, 06:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TML Quote
as I'm looking through the viewfinder I see the shutter or something move slightly and then the image goes blurry. I try to take a picture and the shutter engages twice.
Houston...we have a problem...

What you are describing sounds a lot like the mirror controller fault that has been reported on the K-30/K-50. My friend's K-50 had similar symptoms and it required warranty service.

Steve
04-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check the aperture lever on the lens! Is it slightly bent or not true? This could be the cause of "flopping". Blurry problems hmmm one possibility could be something loose in the lens. does it rattle?

04-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #5
TML

Original Poster
The lens looks exactly like the photo you posted Caver. Everything about the lens seems to be as it should. I will try to get a picture posted of the lens after work. In the mean time I will seach the web for the mirror controller fault, and see if these symptoms match what I'm experiencing. Thanks everyone!
04-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the mean time I will seach the web for the mirror controller fault
There are several threads on this site as well. What you described is very, very similar to what I saw when I did the troubleshooting for my friend's camera. This is particularly true in regards to the blurry image part.

Steve
04-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The lens looks exactly like the photo you posted Caver. Everything about the lens seems to be as it should. I will try to get a picture posted of the lens after work. In the mean time I will seach the web for the mirror controller fault, and see if these symptoms match what I'm experiencing. Thanks everyone!
You are welcome, even if my answer did not help you in any way /:
Wish you luck!