Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Focus indicator cause issues in Manual mode on K50?

I have searched this subject but come up with nothing more than links to the operating manual from a search engine.

When in Manual mode on my new K50, the focus indicator (little hexagon) starts blinking and beeping and I can no longer adjust anything but focus. I have to turn the camera off and back on again to be able to adjust shutter speed or aperture. I can still take a photo, but if I release the shutter the viewfinder goes dim except for the focus indicator and again the camera is in lock down until I cycle the power. I can't find anything about this in the manual so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upon further testing this seems to only happen when using my Pentax DA L 50-200 mm ED WR lens. I did not notice the issue when using the 18-55.

Thanks,

Frustrated new Pentax owner

04-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the flashy focus usually means that the lens is failing to achieve focus... but that doesn't seem to be your problem is it?

Perhaps clean the contacts of the lens.

Do the controls on the camera simple not affect the shutterspeed and aperture? Or for aperture do you see F--
04-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I see all of the controls as if they were active, just dimmer. It's as if it's telling me my subject is not in focus and if I don't focus fast enough it just says "ok, you no do nuffing else!". Just kidding, in seriousness this has occurred since right out of the box.

The controls just do not work once the focus indicator light starts blinking fast. It seems to be pretty random, or I am just not aware enough to notice what is causing it. I will try to pay closer attention to everything when it happens. It's just so frustrating to be framing an image and trying to 0 out the exposure when all of a sudden...no more response from the wheels, and all of the indicators in the viewfinder are all dimmed way down.

Another quick question but a little off topic. Is there a setting I am missing to completely turn off the LCD screen? I have turned off the picture review function, but the screen still comes to life after every shot, I assume to show me the settings. I find it really hard to take a photo using the LCD screen, and only use it when changing features/settings between shoots. The bright light reflecting off of my glasses between shots is a little shocking and always causes that slight startled twitch.
04-04-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Another little update. My wife shoots using the LCD screen so I had her try it. When using the LCD there is no blinking focus indicator but after she takes a photo, all settings are locked down. She is able to get functionality back by accessing any function's settings and then leaving the menu. She doesn't have to change anything, just the act of accessing the settings seems to allow for adjustment after going back to shooting mode. Randomly all of the settings will flash red after shooting an image.

I'm trying to isolate some of these issues and be as scientific in my troubleshooting like my brain is wired for, but the amount of variables is creating a hair-pulling scenario. Did I mention that when using the viewfinder only, the occurrence seems random. I am able to shoot 3-10 images before it happens, but when using the LCD for live view, it is after ever shot (25 shots for test) that all controls lock down.

I'm in a little rush to figure this out. If it's the camera causing the issue, I have a but a few days to return it for replacement. If it's user error we have eternity to beat it into my head.

04-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by McEric Quote
I'm in a little rush to figure this out. If it's the camera causing the issue, I have a but a few days to return it for replacement.
No, this does not sound like user error. Return the camera and best wishes with the replacement

Steve
04-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
No, this does not sound like user error. Return the camera and best wishes with the replacement

Steve
I'm beginning to think this is a return issue as well. Thanks.

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 04:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I'm beginning to think this s replacement issue unfortunately. I can't wait to get a new one now. Thanks!

---------- Post added 04-04-15 at 04:27 PM ----------

Not really sure what happened in that post ^ up there. Weird
04-04-2015, 03:00 PM   #7
Imp
Pentaxian

yup. return it. better luck next time!
04-27-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Returned. A brand-new K-50 on the way.

04-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Not really sure what happened in that post ^ up there. Weird
If no one posts after you, and you post again within 40 hours (I think it is) your posts will be merged for reasons I forget.

And yeah, your camera sounds not right :-(
07-03-2015, 11:22 AM   #10

I have searched this subject but come up with nothing more than links to the operating manual from a search engine.

When in Manual mode on my new K50, the focus indicator (little hexagon) starts blinking and beeping and I can no longer adjust anything but focus. I have to turn the camera off and back on again to be able to adjust shutter speed or aperture. I can still take a photo, but if I release the shutter the viewfinder goes dim except for the focus indicator and again the camera is in lock down until I cycle the power. I can't find anything about this in the manual so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Upon further testing this seems to only happen when using my Pentax DA L 50-200 mm ED WR lens. I did not notice the issue when using the 18-55.

Thanks,

I've started to experience the same control lock down in the manual mode. I have a K50 with a new 50MM prime F1.8 lens.
The manual has not been helpful in trouble shooting this issue. I'm wondering if I has reprogrammed something inadvertently and if there is a way to reset all base settings.
07-03-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miles Phippen Quote
I've started to experience the same control lock down in the manual mode. I have a K50 with a new 50MM prime F1.8 lens.
The manual has not been helpful in trouble shooting this issue. I'm wondering if I has reprogrammed something inadvertently and if there is a way to reset all base settings.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The person who started the thread sent the camera to Pentax to have it replaced on warranty.

You can do a full reset using the setup menu. See pages 219 and 220 in the user guide for full instructions. In short, it goes like this (must do in two places):
menu/setup/3/reset

-- and --

menu/C Custom Settings/4/reset custom functions
Good luck

Steve
07-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #12

Thanks,

try a couple of things next time this happens.

1. Turn the camera off, remove the battery, then hold the shutter release button down for 60 seconds. Reload the battery and see if the issue is resolved.

2. Go to Menu, Settings wrench, tab 3, RESET, then return to the standby screen and see if the problem is resolved.