Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Timelapse with K5ii, HELP!!!

Hello, I just bought a used K5ii + 18-135 kit lens in B&H, and in the last days i was trying to find the Interval Movie in the menu. I am a little bit disappointed because after searching videos in youtube and in many web sites in google everything seems to indicate that i going to need an aditional Timer Shutter Release Remote Control to do timelapse with my camera.

I search for the Interval Movie option in every section of every shooting mode of the camera, including in video mode as is locaded in the K-30 which is a older model that K-5ii and I find it incredible that a camera that is not only oldest but a lower level than mine has it and mine not. The K-3 has it clicking in caption mode.

What i found in the k5ii is an interval shooting option, it takes the pictures but doesn't make the video as the cameras with the Interval Movie option, besides this only has a limited number of images which reach 999 that it is insufficient for more than 41 seconds of video.

Despite this I am very happy with my savings and other features of the camera which are incredible.

If someone knows how to make timelapse with a k5ii or k5iis without using post production software, please please tell me!!!

Thanks.

04-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 series requires a post production step to create a movie from interval shots taken with the camera.
If you use windows the free windows movie maker program can do it.
04-05-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Imp
Pentaxian

yes, post production is necessary. The interval movie mode isn't very useful anyways.
04-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I find MakeAVI the fastest and simplest way to create the timelapse movie from the sequence of stills.
It's free too
MakeAVI - home page

04-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The K5IIs does do this. You can take individual shots, or burst them, or use the built in interval capability (the internal intervalometer). For $20 you can get an external intervalometer that controls this also with out any real limitations (99999+ images, etc).

Regardless of how the images are taken, you are going to need to knit them into a movie (off camera - the camera will not do this for you). Google Picassa does this (free download). I did it a couple of months ago for the first time. It is drop dead easy, but the output is pretty large. I used Picassa because it was already on my system, do it was the path of least resistance. There are also dedicated software utilities that also do this - in a more production like fashion. Microsoft ICE does stitching, but also does interval segments using their other capability (I actually forget what it is), but its accessible from the new version of ICE. Just download it (its free). As an afterthought, if you shoot in JPG - single star, the files will be smaller and you can get longer sequences into the buffer. For me - a 30 second sequence was a really nice first try.

The short interval video was a real after though - it was not my original intention when I shot the sequence of images. I was at the end of the airport runway (planes coming in for a landing overhead then landing on the runway in front of me, landing into the sunset), shooting bursts of stills until the buffer filled. After getting home, and looking at the output, it really looked like a stop action movie when quickly moving from one shot to the next. I post processed one shot in LR, then copied the processing to the entire sequence, exported the whole set to disk as JPGs. Then used Picassa to do a movie sequence (the quality was high, so the resulting file was very large). It was pretty cool.

The other item I wanted to touch on is the Q. The Pentax Q is a much better platform for doing Interval Movies. Why? Well, it does not have a mechanical shutter or mirror. The K bodies have shutters that wear out in 100K to 200K clicks. So, using the K bodies essentially wears out the shutter faster. The K's are good for the final high quality product, but you cant beat the Q's for learning and testing.

Last edited by interested_observer; 04-05-2015 at 01:46 PM.
04-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The K5IIs does do this.
The OP was looking for Interval Movie, which the K5IIs doesn't have.

The other item I wanted to touch on is the Q. The Pentax Q is a much better platform for doing Interval Movies. Why? Well, it does not have a mechanical shutter or mirror.
Can't agree unfortunately as the (original) Q has a horrid habit of shaking the SR mechanism each time it wakes up to fire off the next shot which results in each frame not being pixel perfect aligned in spite of setting up the camera not to use SR, not to do dust removal and so on. It also has a bug were sometimes it will gradually lose focus during a time-lapse session in spite of MF being used. The Q is a fun camera but for TL or IM it's nothing more than a tinker-tool which can't be relied on.
04-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #7

Original Poster
The K5IIs does do this. You can take individual shots, or burst them, or use the built in interval capability (the internal intervalometer). For $20 you can get an external intervalometer that controls this also with out any real limitations (99999+ images, etc).

Could you please recomend me a good intevalometer to buy?

thank you guys for the help!!!, now i am a proud owner of a Pentax K-5ii with a 35mm DA and a 18-135mm WR lens. I am thinking about to get a 10-17mm fisheye lens in the next months.
04-05-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sjaramillovilla Quote
Could you please recomend me a good intevalometer to buy?

thank you guys for the help!!!, now i am a proud owner of a Pentax K-5ii with a 35mm DA and a 18-135mm WR lens. I am thinking about to get a 10-17mm fisheye lens in the next months.
Why don't you use the one built in the camera
Neil

04-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You would only really need to buy gear if you plan to make a honkingly huge movie from your stills.

I made one a few years back just to see if I could do it by plopping my camera (I think it was my K-30) in the window and taking a shot every few seconds. it was stupidly easy to do - I was able to do it my first take, and I'm anything but a movie shooter.

FWIW, if you have stacking software (or Photoshop, I suppose, I used Registax for this shot) you can merge the interval shots into one and get some stupidly impressive dynamic range going on.

04-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #10
Pentaxian

What i found in the k5ii is an interval shooting option, it takes the pictures but doesn't make the video as the cameras with the Interval Movie option, besides this only has a limited number of images which reach 999 that it is insufficient for more than 41 seconds of video.
Should get over a minute at 15fps which is ample for time lapse.
Keep your shutter speed low for smooth timelapse, which may mean the use of an ND filter.

---------- Post added 04-06-15 at 10:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gtis Quote
Why don't you use the one built in the camera
Neil
He's already said the 999 limit is too low.
04-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
I am trying to know how many shots my used k-5ii has, i was tryed with Camera Shutter Count, photoshop (doesn't show me the image number in the exif properties of the camera) and irfanView but neither do this in the Exif properties, do you know how to get this number. Camera Shutter Count shows me a number that is equal to the name of the file, i dont know if believe in it because you can restart the count when you restore the camera to original settings.

Thanks!!!
04-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
He's already said the 999 limit is too low.
I use this inexpensive wired remote that I got from B&H:

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

It allows an infinite number of exposures (or until the battery dies). There are many similar remotes on the market, all with a price point at about $30 USD or less.

As for software...it is pretty hard to do anything video without some sort of post-exposure processing. Windows Movie Maker is a decent tool for doing interval movies. It is a two-step process and for longer segments the stills should be broken up into chunks of about 100-200 exposures. The process for a hypothetical movie from 1000 shots goes like this:
  1. Create five folders each with 200 files
  2. Start a new project in Movie Maker and import the files from the first folder
  3. Publish the project as a new movie using the desired frame rate and such and save the video file to the same folder as its source images
  4. Repeat steps 2-4 for each of the remaining folder, using a new project for each file set. There is no need to save the projects, just the movie files.
  5. Create a new project in Movie Maker and save it with the intended name of your interval clip
  6. Add the movie files (in order) from each of the five source folders and save the project
  7. Edit as needed and when happy, publish the project as your finished interval movie

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-06-2015 at 10:39 AM.
04-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am trying to know how many shots my used k-5ii has, i was tryed with Camera Shutter Count, photoshop (doesn't show me the image number in the exif properties of the camera) and irfanView but neither do this in the Exif properties, do you know how to get this number. Camera Shutter Count shows me a number that is equal to the name of the file, i dont know if believe in it because you can restart the count when you restore the camera to original settings.

Thanks!!!
Go here - the file must be directly out of the camera, do not process it through any software.
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader
04-06-2015, 01:44 PM   #14
Pentaxian

i dont know if believe in it because you can restart the count when you restore the camera to original settings.
You can reset the file number, not the shutter count.