Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2015, 07:16 AM   #16
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,828
I took a Sigma 120 to 400 back for exactly the same reason.... if it doesn't behave like your other lenses, take it back... you're wasting time here. Hopefully you can do an over the counter exchange if you bought new, or get it repaired. Although buying one second hand might be cheaper than a repair. I've seen them for as low a 90$, unless it's still under warranty. IN that case send it back to Sigma.

04-09-2015, 12:48 PM   #17
Forum Member
GrimWolf's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Albums
Posts: 87
Original Poster
I've given up with it, just can't get it to take a photo worth a Damn. Sending it back to amazon. Will have a look on ebay, maybe I can find one that doesn't have a rotating barrel when zooming
04-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #18
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,828
QuoteOriginally posted by GrimWolf Quote
I've given up with it, just can't get it to take a photo worth a Damn. Sending it back to amazon. Will have a look on ebay, maybe I can find one that doesn't have a rotating barrel when zooming
Good move. Good luck... glad you made me haul it out, for a cheaper lens, it really is quite good.
04-09-2015, 01:31 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,831
Look for a used DA 55-300. The L version should be very inexpensive, and even the standard should cost you less than $200 now. The Marketplace here is a great place to start. That lens pops up very frequently.

04-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #20
Site Supporter
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,901
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Look for a used DA 55-300. The L version should be very inexpensive, and even the standard should cost you less than $200 now. The Marketplace here is a great place to start. That lens pops up very frequently.
Yes, to all of that.

But the 55-300 does not have close-focusing.
04-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #21
Forum Member
GrimWolf's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Albums
Posts: 87
Original Poster
Got my new (second hand) Tamron A17 lens off ebay yesterday, took some experimental goose and duck photos after work and already have better shots than with the sigma I sent back :-)
04-18-2015, 07:21 AM   #22
Site Supporter
royden's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 281
Sigma 70-300

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I took a Sigma 120 to 400 back for exactly the same reason.... if it doesn't behave like your other lenses, take it back... you're wasting time here. Hopefully you can do an over the counter exchange if you bought new, or get it repaired. Although buying one second hand might be cheaper than a repair. I've seen them for as low a 90$, unless it's still under warranty. IN that case send it back to Sigma.
Hi Norm, Where did you see one for $90? Thanks. The OP's post scared me initially, as I'm think of getting one. If I get it I will post some shots. There are three models floating around. The one with OS in the name appears to be the best. Any comments would be appreciated.
04-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #23
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,828
QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
Hi Norm, Where did you see one for $90? Thanks. The OP's post scared me initially, as I'm think of getting one. If I get it I will post some shots. There are three models floating around. The one with OS in the name appears to be the best. Any comments would be appreciated.
I've seen them for $80 in the local kijiji on sale for $89 min the used section at Henry's. Mine is pretty soft in the long end. But if you're just looking for something to get you started, it's still a good deal. Although if you're planning to use it at 300mm, you're better off to look for a 55-300. As general purpose telephoto it's excellent, especially from 70-180mm.

04-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #24
Site Supporter
royden's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 281
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I've seen them for $80 in the local kijiji on sale for $89 min the used section at Henry's. Mine is pretty soft in the long end. But if you're just looking for something to get you started, it's still a good deal. Although if you're planning to use it at 300mm, you're better off to look for a 55-300. As general purpose telephoto it's excellent, especially from 70-180mm.
Thanks Norm, I had a DAL 55-300, got it in a package deal with a K-x in January 2010. Sold it as I saw a way to make a few bucks as it was really cheap in the package deal and was not using it much pass 200mm. Now I may come full circle.
04-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #25
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,828
QuoteOriginally posted by royden Quote
Thanks Norm, I had a DAL 55-300, got it in a package deal with a K-x in January 2010. Sold it as I saw a way to make a few bucks as it was really cheap in the package deal and was not using it much pass 200mm. Now I may come full circle.
If you don't use anything past 200 much, something like the DA 18-135 or DA* 50-135 and DA*200 2.8 might be ideal for you, if you wanted to spend a huge amount of money. But I'd look at a used F 70-210. I'd take that over my 70-300 any day, and for you it sounds ideal given your shooting preference.









67 70-210 images.
04-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #26
Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,076
QuoteOriginally posted by GrimWolf Quote
I think i'll give the lens one more go on friday as there are ducks, swans and other birds locally. I'll try out different speeds and tripod etc. If it comes out the same, I'll return the lens and look at another model.
Why do you need to wait if you can test the lens focusing on anything around? Speed was so low, but acceptable in many cases if your hands are steady. Seems more like out of focus image to me. This lens (and similar Sigmas 70-300mm ) tends to hunt especially in not sufficient light (even shade or clouds in bright day). I never use ISO number lower than 400. Usually 400-800 for this lens in any light to catch flying birds as well.
I suggest you practice more with your Sigma. AF is a pain often, but it's manageable if nothing is wrong with the lens of course.
04-18-2015, 09:57 AM   #27
Forum Member
GrimWolf's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Albums
Posts: 87
Original Poster
I needed to wait due to my working hours, usually by the time I get home I'm not in the mood to do much of anything lol.
04-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #28
Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,076
QuoteOriginally posted by GrimWolf Quote
I needed to wait due to my working hours, usually by the time I get home I'm not in the mood to do much of anything lol.
It's Saturday Perhaps you don't work weekends?
04-18-2015, 10:01 AM   #29
Forum Member
GrimWolf's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Albums
Posts: 87
Original Poster
Heh, been out with my new Tamron today, i sent the lens my original post was about back. Had some good results.
04-18-2015, 10:07 AM   #30
Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,076
I prefer Sigma over Tamron. Personal preferences, Tamron seems too "flat" than Sigma. DA*300mm is better than Sigma and Tamron
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
70-300mm f4-5.6 apo, apo, camera, dg, f4-5.6, f4-5.6 apo dg, lens, macro, pentax help, photography, sigma, sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro SointulArt Sold Items 6 05-04-2014 11:26 AM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro ducdao Sold Items 5 02-17-2012 05:35 PM
Sigma 70-300 1:4-5.6 DL Macro vs Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO (Comparo) adr1an Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 05-08-2011 06:46 PM
For Sale - Sold: Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro (Worldwide) montoblan Sold Items 5 09-18-2010 12:40 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top