Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does the built in K5II flash adjustment effect an external flash?

Kinda of an odd question but on the K5II, does the power adjustment for the on-board flash have any bearing on an external flash? I'm suspecting no. I also could test this but I'm away from my camera and will probably forget before then. In addition to this, if I set my flash to be the trigger/slave for a wireless flash, will the power setting effect how strong the already-reduced onboard flash is?

Thanks.

Last edited by jab2980; 04-08-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: added more to the question
04-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

No, the output of the built in flash has no effect on the power output of the external flash. You may use the built in flash to trigger an external flash that support slave mode but you have to set the power on the external one manually. You can control the power output of only a couple types of Pentax flash units (540, 360) using the wireless mode of the K-5II body. You can wirelessly controll the Pentax flashes in several TTL modes. This works with or without the internal flash firing. There is a cool split mode that allow 1/3 internal + 2/3 external output when combining the flashes.
04-09-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
Pentaxian

True if one is using a non P-ttl flash however the built in flash to my knowledge in any mode other than Green mode can signal exposure compensation via wireless to Pentax or other P-ttl compatible flashes, such as certain Metz or Sigma's, however when utilizing multiple flashes the power output of the external P-ttl flashes cannot be individually controlled. To do that one would need to utilize a triggering system such as the Cactus V6.

Op read the external flash section and go over the chart on page 167, If your flash is P-ttl compatible look in it's menu under exposure compensation.

Now with all this said, if you are going to use off camera flash it is much better to invest in a trigger system that can control your flash output over trying to rely on the camera's system.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 04-09-2015 at 06:25 AM.
02-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The +/-ev adjustment for flash in the camera affects the pop-up flash or any P-TTL flash unit attached to the hot shoe. As mentioned above it can also control external wireless P-TTL units.

As a matter of interest, I've found that with my K5-II and 18-135WR I get the best results with P-TTL on my 540FGZ if I shoot with the camera in manual exposure mode and a flash compensation value of about -1ev (either set in the camera OR on the flash - not both as they are cumulative). I've also found that using the A setting on the flash unit gives more consistent exposure results than P-TTL but is not as convenient when you want to alter things, for example aperture in order to change DOF.

Last edited by Merts; 02-22-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: grammar typo