Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #1

K5 will not power up

I bought a used K5 about 2 weeks ago. I snapped about 200 photos over that time and I have to say I absolutely love this camera. But unfortunately I went to use my camera last night and it would not turn on. Here is what happens. I turn it on and I get a sound as if the shutter is working. The LCD panel lights up for about 1/4 of a second. I can see the battery indicator showing I have a full charge, then it shuts down and will not do anything. I can turn it off and it will do the same thing again when I turn it on. I took put the battery put it on the charger just to make sure then put it back in and I got the same thing. I cleaned the contacts on the battery and still nothing. I thought about buying another battery but thought I would ask before doing that. Please help!!

04-12-2015, 12:21 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's quite possible that the battery is no longer good, especially if it wasn't used regularly in the past. It's also possible but unlikely that the electronics in the camera have gone bad.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The sound that you hear may be the sensor cleaning mechanism, which can be activated at start-up as desired, or not. Pity you can't even turn it off. If the battery is very near it's end of like, that sensor cleaning action may just suck the last bit of juice out of it. I'd get another battery - the aftermarket ones can be quite good, depending, and you'd probably need a second one anyway.
04-12-2015, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure the card door is closed, the camera won't turn on if it is open.

04-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Make sure the card door is closed, the camera won't turn on if it is open.
Exactly! I've forgotten to put in an SD card and close the door, and though my camera was broken, fortunately it was only me.
04-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you very much for the information. As it turns out the SD card door was open. After reading this I looked to make sure all the doors were closed. When I closed the SD card door it started working again as it should. Again thank you for the valuable information.
04-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Forum Member

The forum members here (me excluded) are very knowledgeable and willing to share that infomation. I've learned a lot here just by reading.
04-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
I've learned a lot here just by reading.
So now you're also knowledgeable

04-12-2015, 09:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaju Quote
Thank you very much for the information. As it turns out the SD card door was open. After reading this I looked to make sure all the doors were closed. When I closed the SD card door it started working again as it should. Again thank you for the valuable information.
Glad you got it sorted.