Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #1

Dropped K500 - object in viewfinder

Hello!

I managed to drop my K500 from about 5 feet up onto a hardwood floor. Now there is a large black object in the viewfinder that is not affecting pictures. Is say it's about twice the size of an AF point on most cameras and looks somewhat circular/blobish. Im concerned it may be a piece of the camera. Would anyone know how I fix this or if I should send the camera in/take it to a local camera shop.

Also, I feel like the shutter is louder now but that may just be paranoia.

Thanks for any help!

04-12-2015, 10:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If it is not affecting your photos, then the object is either on the mirror, or on or under the focusing screen.

To check the mirror, take the lens off and look at the mirror.

To check the focusing screen, these can be removed. There is a little catch at the top centre, when this is released the frame holding the focusing screen drops down and the screen can be removed. Handle the screen ONLY by the edges. Avoid getting finger prints on it. Reinstall the screen the reverse of taking it out. There should be YouTube videos of what to do.

If you still can't find the spot, send the camera in for servicing.

Regards

Chris
04-13-2015, 02:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a permanent reminder of the day that I dropped my K5; the 'silver' coating of the mirror is slightly damaged. Might be a similar issue with yours.
04-13-2015, 04:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The piece doesn't show in the photos? So it can be in the mirror, on the focusing screen, or in the viewfinder.
Remove lens and look at the mirror, is there a spot on it? Use rocket blower to get it out of the camera.
If that is not it, look at the focusing screen, which is between mirror and viewfinder. Rocketblower is still the best choice. Never touch the focusing screen or mirror with your finger, it will leave residue
Finally, if it is none of those, it is in the viewfinder so there is not much you can do..

It could be dust or some of the inner lining, sealing getting loose. The main problem is that the camera might no longer be as light sealed as it was before. Hopefully you will not get light leaks or other problems. A 5ft droop is quite big, its good the camera survived at all! I would check its focusing, especially with the lens that was mounted when the camera fell. A fall can decenter the lens or even damage the mount, AF coupling