Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #1

Pentax ist DS and ist DL problem

Hi everyone, im long time lurker here and finaly decided to ask you for help if you can provide any. So to keep it all simple these are my problems :
Pentax ist DS : every time i take a picture its pure white, no matter what i do with exposure and settings its always white, is it some kind of sensor problem or something else ?
Pentax ist DL : freezes every time i turn him on and makes clicking sound when i press any of the buttons.
I got these cameras as a gift and he told me they are not working and if i can fix them they are mine to use.
Any advice would be nice.
Thank you in advance !

04-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both sound like they have some defective hardware. Mostly likely not worth repairing at today's prices, unfortunately

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2015, 01:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A similar performance camera is the K100D or K100D Super. There is one in the marketplace that I saw recently. Alternatively you can simply look at other more modern used DSLR options.

Just for grins - is the card in the first camera newly reformatted? If you take it and mount it on your computer do you see files and can you view them?
04-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My *ist burned out a chip in the exposure sequence, my exposures slowly went black over about 3 weeks. I had an extended warranty, so it was repaired, and the cost of the repair was $750. I can't image these cameras are worth fixing, unless you were to try and do some chip swapping yourself. For myself, at the time of the repair the K100D was selling for about $549... they never offered me the choice of saving them $200 and just giving me one of those. After complaints from people like myself, the new warranty includes replacement in kind, in other words, if it was top of the line at the time, they buy you the current top of the line, or whatever is closest to the equivalent price of what you paid for yours.

04-16-2015, 02:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all i tought so myself but wanted to ask anyway, i guess they will be on a shelf for quite some time
05-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neven Quote
Hi everyone, im long time lurker here and finaly decided to ask you for help if you can provide any. So to keep it all simple these are my problems :
Pentax ist DS : every time i take a picture its pure white, no matter what i do with exposure and settings its always white, is it some kind of sensor problem or something else ?
Pentax ist DL : freezes every time i turn him on and makes clicking sound when i press any of the buttons.
I got these cameras as a gift and he told me they are not working and if i can fix them they are mine to use.
Any advice would be nice.
Thank you in advance !
My guess would be the aperture control block may be shot. I had a similar thing happen to my K-50 recently. it would take the 1st series of photos totally UNDER exposed to the point where it was black, and in auto mode if bursting a series of same shots..the photo would go from black to ok...got it repaired under warranty, and they replaced that aperture control block. Seemed to fix things for now.
05-20-2015, 09:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertminator Quote
My guess would be the aperture control block may be shot. I had a similar thing happen to my K-50 recently. it would take the 1st series of photos totally UNDER exposed to the point where it was black, and in auto mode if bursting a series of same shots..the photo would go from black to ok...got it repaired under warranty, and they replaced that aperture control block. Seemed to fix things for now.
Mine went the other way but the same part was involved. Mine would horribly overexpose and then work great in the same string of pictures.