Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
googledrive might not be an option, 15GB free and the RAW is 20...
20 gb or 20 mb? 😊

04-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #17

RAW files don't get that big. It's probably megabytes.
04-17-2015, 06:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The RAW files would be carrying the data in the embedded JPG your camera created along with it. This probably isn't a software error on your PC, its almost certainly a setting (or a glitch) on your camera.

Probably.

I'd try resetting the camera back to its default settings, snap a shot off, and see if it fixes the issue.
04-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
20 gb or 20 mb? 😊
ah yes...doh

---------- Post added 04-18-15 at 03:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
The RAW files would be carrying the data in the embedded JPG your camera created along with it. This probably isn't a software error on your PC, its almost certainly a setting (or a glitch) on your camera.

Probably.
yep I couldn't see it being the pc when 2 progs did it

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'd try resetting the camera back to its default settings, snap a shot off, and see if it fixes the issue.
ok will do thx

04-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #20

Camera settings don't affect raw (apart from ISO setting), and if (as OP stated) "shots look correctly exposed ... in thumbnails and the jpg ... is good" - while the raw looks blown out, the problem is with raw interpretation; that is, the problem lies with the converters, not with the camera. A camera reset should not help here.

To OP: if you are still experiencing the problem, it would be helpful to make raw files available for analysis (sorry, repeating myself

Both programs are based on dcraw, so they may behave in a similar manner
04-19-2015, 01:54 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
For OP: If you are still unable to upload RAW, try to download someone's from the forum and see what happens. (For example from the post-processing challenge)
04-19-2015, 04:10 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenny47 Quote
For OP: If you are still unable to upload RAW, try to download someone's from the forum and see what happens. (For example from the post-processing challenge)
great idea to d/l a RAW from here and have a squiz
onto it tomorrow

Pete

---------- Post added 04-19-15 at 11:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TheGoldbloom Quote
Camera settings don't affect raw (apart from ISO setting), and if (as OP stated) "shots look correctly exposed ... in thumbnails and the jpg ... is good" - while the raw looks blown out, the problem is with raw interpretation; that is, the problem lies with the converters, not with the camera. A camera reset should not help here.

To OP: if you are still experiencing the problem, it would be helpful to make raw files available for analysis (sorry, repeating myself

Both programs are based on dcraw, so they may behave in a similar manner
Thanks for your patience with my classic withholding of evidence
weekend got in the way as it does
I reset camera ( goodness do ppl use the focus beep much ) and as predicted it didn't help
give us while and I'll do the googledrive thing

Last edited by Transit; 04-19-2015 at 04:16 AM.
04-19-2015, 05:54 AM   #23

Make sure both highlight and shadow correction are switched off. If the exposure of the RAW images and JPGs don't match this can be the cause - it was on my K-30.
Although the corrections shouldn't affect the RAW images they certainly affect both the actual JPGs and the embedded JPGs you see on the rear screen when shooting RAW only.
An overexposed RAW image can appear correctly or underexposed when looking at the 'corrected' JPG and vice versa.
04-19-2015, 09:53 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by infocus Quote
If the exposure of the RAW images and JPGs don't match...
Question. The RAW file and the JPG come from the same exact shot...how on earth could they have different exposures?
04-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #25

Exposure in the sense of the apparent exposure i.e if the image looks under or overexposed. The actual exposure is the same for both.

I believe highlight correction changes the set exposure, underexposing the image by 1EV (so in that sense it does affect the RAW image) and then brightens the JPG. This process can sometimes give unexpected results and may cause a significant difference in the apparent exposure of the RAW and JPG images. Another problem is when the user then dials in some EV compensation based on reviewing the embedded jpg on the rear screen only to find at a later date that the RAW file actually required a different or opposite adjustment.
04-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by infocus Quote
Exposure in the sense of the apparent exposure i.e if the image looks under or overexposed. The actual exposure is the same for both.

I believe highlight correction changes the set exposure, underexposing the image by 1EV (so in that sense it does affect the RAW image) and then brightens the JPG. This process can sometimes give unexpected results and may cause a significant difference in the apparent exposure of the RAW and JPG images. Another problem is when the user then dials in some EV compensation based on reviewing the embedded jpg on the rear screen only to find at a later date that the RAW file actually required a different or opposite adjustment.
What you're talking about is called brightness. In the case of RAW, it has nothing to do with exposure. RAW data has no brightness, only levels; it is open to interpretation, as it is a latent image and can be rendered with arbitrary brightness and contrast. The use of term exposure instead of brightness results in nothing but confusion.
04-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kenny47 Quote
Are you using Neutral profile in Rawtherapee?
yes,
excuse my late reply.
only surpased by the lateness of images in question
hang on
04-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Original Poster
ok finally here is a RAW
centre weighted average, TAv. -0.3
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7h3EhvmCU5KZV9qQTN2bm16RTA/view?usp=sharing

and here is the jpeg, as delivered by the camera, natural, highlight and shadow correction off

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7h3EhvmCU5Ka0xVc1hTQU5CUlk/view?usp=sharing

probably not a great example with the wet reflection
Thanks
Pete

---------- Post added 04-20-15 at 08:24 PM ----------

These two are a better indication
RAW https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7h3EhvmCU5KUzFMZlJ4T1pTdm8/view?usp=sharing
JPEG https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7h3EhvmCU5Kdmp0MDZXcE52Rkk/view?usp=sharing
04-20-2015, 05:19 AM   #29

Too me it looks like it is the other way around. The Jpeg seems underexposed and very contrasty.

Neither contains highlight clipping on my screen.

The raw files seems to have correct exposure in my oppinion.

Edit: Slightly weird. The google DNG preview seems to add +1 in exposure compared to when i open it in PS (CC 2014)

Added the histogram of the image when opened in Camera RAW.
Attached Images

04-20-2015, 07:17 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Too me it looks like it is the other way around. The Jpeg seems underexposed and very contrasty.

Neither contains highlight clipping on my screen.

The raw files seems to have correct exposure in my oppinion.

Edit: Slightly weird. The google DNG preview seems to add +1 in exposure compared to when i open it in PS (CC 2014)

Added the histogram of the image when opened in Camera RAW.
I downloaded the RAW and opened it in PS - my histogram is different then yours for some reason pre-fiddling with it.

If anything the RAW is slightly (very very slightly) underexposed if anything.

I'm wondering if you maybe have some sort of autoexposure thing going on with your previews? Not familiar with your software so this is a wild guess, but could the previews be looking at one specific (and dark) point in the RAW image and exposing for that rather than the overall image? It almost sounds like what happens when you forget to turn off the single point exposure setting on your camera then start shooting shadows - everything blows out because the camera is exposing for that one single point rather than taking the entire shot into consideration.
Attached Images