Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 07:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am just learning to use Rawtherapee opened transit's DNG in Rawtherapee 4.2.156.
Click >Exposure > Auto levels .
Beautiful.
The camera's color temp was 4945 K for 0001, and 4775 for 0002 etc.

04-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #32

Sagitta: Forgot to clarify. My histogram was from the other raw file.
04-20-2015, 01:00 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timcatn Quote
Sagitta: Forgot to clarify. My histogram was from the other raw file.
Ahhhh that makes sense then.
04-20-2015, 02:18 PM   #34
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Screenshot of the DNG in Darktable with all settings off and the jpg in gimp. Sort of matching histograms here.
Gotta be some setting in your software Transit.

Attached Images

04-20-2015, 03:41 PM   #35
Veteran Member

It does sound like a software error. If a JPG is showing ok, then it means that the underlying RAW data is ok. It's just not being represented correctly.

As someone else mentioned, both RawTherapee and Faststone are using DCRaw, so perhaps it's something with the DCRaw on your system? Have you considered perhaps trying a different RAW processor for these files (one that doesn't use DCRaw). Perhaps the Pentax DCU since it is free. Lightzone is another OpenSource option that I assume is not DCRaw dependent since it was commercial prior to being Open Source. Neither option is the best RAW processor, but most RAW processors should start you off at similar points.
04-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #36

So, being a beta tester for FastRawViewer, I decided to kill two birds with one stone; try out the upcoming version, and try and see the problem you're having.

Looking at your first RAW image, I decided to adjust the brightness further by 1 and 2/3 of a stop (EV), and this is what I got:

Looking at this, not only is the shot not blown out, it's underexposed. As you can see from looking at the RAW histogram and data, after I added in 1.67 EV, you only have 193 pixels blown out, so that's perfectly fine. So, I took a look at your JPEG, and this was the result:

Looking at the JPEG histogram, it definitely looks like you underexposed a bit, and that's why you have plugged shadows.

The second shot is different. Here's what the RAW looks like:

Here, I would have exposed a bit hotter; you are allowed to blow out about 0.3% in the strongest channel (here being the green). This would help with some of the plugged shadows and shadow noise.

The JPEG looks pretty good as well. I'd look at your RAW converter settings, because I think that's where your problem may lie. If that doesn't work, contact the developers because they're your best source for dealing with this bug.
04-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Screenshot of the DNG in Darktable with all settings off and the jpg in gimp. Sort of matching histograms here.
Gotta be some setting in your software Transit.
thanks Mate

---------- Post added 04-21-15 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
It does sound like a software error
. ....... Perhaps the Pentax DCU since it is free. Lightzone is another OpenSource option......
Thanks ! Will load the Pentax convertor

---------- Post added 04-21-15 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by TheGoldbloom Quote

Looking at your first RAW image, I decided to adjust the brightness further by 1 and 2/3 of a stop (EV), and this is what I got:

Looking at this, not only is the shot not blown out, it's underexposed. ...... I'd look at your RAW converter settings, because I think that's where your problem may lie. ......
My view has rock with the shells blown right out !
Thanks for the further exposure tips

04-20-2015, 05:13 PM   #38

Installed Raw Therapee 4.2.21, can't reproduce the problem. Could you possibly post a screenshot of how it looks on your computer?
04-20-2015, 05:22 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Will load other software when time permits
wondered if PEF was also doing it, tried and it is displaying correctly.

---------- Post added 04-21-15 at 12:23 PM ----------

Installed Raw Therapee 4.2.21, can't reproduce the problem. Could you possibly post a screenshot of how it looks on your computer?
Thankyou, will do
04-21-2015, 01:05 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster

thanks
here you go

---------- Post added 04-21-15 at 08:12 PM ----------

OK. Can I conclude Faststone has some issue displaying DNG but not PEF from the K-5iis...
and as the above example shows, RT has no issue. I think my earlier report that RT was doing it as well as FS
was dilusional. I think I only looked at one image with RT.

Thanks for all the help and head scratching folks
04-21-2015, 01:47 AM   #41
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
thanks
here you go

---------- Post added 04-21-15 at 08:12 PM ----------

OK. Can I conclude Faststone has some issue displaying DNG but not PEF from the K-5iis...
and as the above example shows, RT has no issue. I think my earlier report that RT was doing it as well as FS
was dilusional. I think I only looked at one image with RT.

Thanks for all the help and head scratching folks
Here is something that surprised me:
A comparison of Transit's image in darktable on the left and Digikam editor on the right.
Also I have attached a screenshot of another comparison that some of you will will recognize as coming from a thread about a flat image in digital imaging.
The difference between the two editors is not consistent.
I think I have disabled all the settings.
In darktable the sky in the second one is totally not recoverable --- just white.
But it has the capability of getting the skin tones correct while under Digikam editor the skin remains deathly flat.
Attached Images