Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

Help!! My Series 1 105 Macro-- they say it can't be fixed?!?

Thanks for any solutions! Here is what happened:
Lens: Vivitar Series 1 105 macro for Pentax. This is my favorite lens...

* the aperature linkage must have gotten jolted and became dislodged. This is the little black lever sticking out the back of the lens mount.

* I took out a few screws and the linkage came out. I realized I was over my head and packed everything up and sent it to a shop.

* The shop took a quick look and said there must be dozens of bearnings and other parts missing and it can not be repaired. I can guarantee that dozens of bearings and parts did not fall out of the lens. I was very meticulous and wearing magnifying goggles when I took off the lens mount.

* Now, another shop said the iris linkage retaining clip is missing and it is not worth sourcing the parts and fixing the lens.

* I can't find a copy for Pentax anywhere for less than $400.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks much,

04-18-2015, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send it to Eric Hendrickson for an estimate https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/270917-lens-repair-eric.html
04-18-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

It does have a million bearings but they don't fall out if you remove the mount -- if they do all fall out it probably would indeed be unrepairable. It is actually not a complicated mechanism, if the aperture is working (the blades), it is not too hard to put back together as long as you've got everything.
04-18-2015, 02:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I actually sheared off the 'A' locking pin on my 105/2.5 Macro aperture ring. I sourced a really cheap Vivitar lens on eBay that had what looked like the same pin (turned out it was), sent both to Eric and he fixed my lens.

Give him a try. At least if Eric says it is fatal it probably is.

And there's this : Lens Tech Home Page for Ralph Innes. I've heard he's very good if he's still in business.

And this : Mike's Camera | Homevivitar-repair-parts.html

And this DPR thread: Vivitar lens repair: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Here's my original thread at PF when I broke my 105/2.5. There might be a bit more for you in there.

Good Luck!!

04-18-2015, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by conbio Quote
Thanks for any solutions! Here is what happened:
Lens: Vivitar Series 1 105 macro for Pentax. This is my favorite lens...

* the aperature linkage must have gotten jolted and became dislodged. This is the little black lever sticking out the back of the lens mount.

* I took out a few screws and the linkage came out. I realized I was over my head and packed everything up and sent it to a shop.

* The shop took a quick look and said there must be dozens of bearnings and other parts missing and it can not be repaired. I can guarantee that dozens of bearings and parts did not fall out of the lens. I was very meticulous and wearing magnifying goggles when I took off the lens mount.

* Now, another shop said the iris linkage retaining clip is missing and it is not worth sourcing the parts and fixing the lens.

* I can't find a copy for Pentax anywhere for less than $400.

Any comments or suggestions? Thanks much,

That first shop may have done more harm than good...
04-18-2015, 07:56 PM - 1 Like   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
And there's this : Lens Tech Home Page for Ralph Innes. I've heard he's very good if he's still in business.
As I recall he posted a message saying he no longer repairs lenses due to age related disabilities.several years ago. It wouldn't hurt to try contacting him though. My understanding was he was to go to person for Kiron lens repair.

Precision ball bearings starting at 1mm in diameter are easily bought from a US manufacturer on EBay. I bought a packet of 1.5mm ball bearings (50 count) for just a few bucks when I lost the detent bearing for my SMC-A 50mm f/1.7 lens.

You can find parts lists for many Kiron lenses here. Boggy hasn't put the parts list up for the 105mm f/2.8 Macro yet but if you contact him maybe he'll get around to doing it.if he has a copy. As I recall there is a bit of interchangeability between many of the Kiron models.

Edit: Looking through the available parts manuals the Kino (Kiron) designs that have ball bearings on the aperture ring all have from 75-80 1.6mm bearings.

Last edited by Not a Number; 04-18-2015 at 08:59 PM.