Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Mirror lock up with K-3 v.1.11

Yesterday I was not happy to meet this issue first, second and third time with my six months old K-3. And I have been taking lots of photos with it.

The first time I had it was right after changing the full battery (Hahnel) powering the camera up. It did not give response when I tried to change the aperture. I booted the camera and got it functioning again.

Second time it happened after an hour, after taking some shots with lv and turning the screen off.
After this I changed again a full battery. This time original Pentax. I took some photos without problems.

Third time I was taking a photo, when the shutter did not react. When I lowered the camera down, I noticed something loose keeping a clapping sound when I shaked the camera. It did not make the sound itself, but only when I shaked the camera. Perhaps a mirror. Any button did not responce. Booting the camera did remove the loose sound but not help for the jam. Only after I took the battery off the camera seemed to work again after powering up.

Nooot happy!

04-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Shaking the camera is not a good thing. It is similar to shaking a baby.

2. Send your camera in for service.

Steve
04-20-2015, 07:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
1. Shaking the camera is not a good thing. It is similar to shaking a baby.

2. Send your camera in for service.

Steve
I did not shake it like a mad man! It was just normal movement walking and holding my camera in my hands. A camera like K-3 should be robust to tolerate normal handling and carrying. I am sorry, if I can't find correct words. This is not my native language.
04-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

With the camera turned off, the sensor assembly is allowed to float free. That movement may be felt and/or heard as a small clunk when carrying the camera and is normal. When turned on the sound goes away. It may be that you are hearing something else, but it would be hard for me to say without having the camera in my hand.

Steve

04-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With the camera turned off, the sensor assembly is allowed to float free. That movement may be felt and/or heard as a small clunk when carrying the camera and is normal. When turned on the sound goes away. It may be that you are hearing something else, but it would be hard for me to say without having the camera in my hand.

Steve
I am aware of that. And I have been using this K-3 for six months and some other camera gear before this one about 35 years. With this I don't want to be offending in any way, but assure that I can tell, when the sound is not healthy.
Like I told, the sound was like the mirror was moving lose. Like you would think a lid of a box moving in its gudgeons. I checked that there is no dust, hair or anything preventing the mirror to work properly. Nothing strange was visible.

I was not thinking, I would find any solution here. But telling my experience for other K-3 users. Perhaps it is a rare fw problem. Perhaps something is mechanically wrong with my camera. In both case, someone else may face a similar situation. And though it is not helpful, it may ease a pain a bit to find, that someone else been there too :

If the problem shows up one more time, I will send my camera to repair just like you suggested. Unfortunately we don't have Pentax repair in Finland anymore, but I have to send it for inspected to Sweden, which is outside of the Euro area.

Thank you!
04-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

a) the clang you hear when the camera is shaken is the SR. SR is floating free when camera is off, so you will hear it move around if you shake. This is normal for pretty much all Pentax DSLRs. Doing things like walking or running will not damage this mechanism, but shaking the camera on purpose, rattling it, is not a good idea in general (goes for other brands as well). If you turn on live view, you can hear the SR as a faint buzzing sound, as the magnets are holding the sensor in place. You will hear both of these sounds even if you disable the SR function.

b) If you use 2 sec timer, the camera will automatically lock up the mirror when you press the shutter, then take the exposure. MLU is normal here. 12 sec timer is different, without MLU.
The camera "freezing" after a photo might actually be the slow frame NR (dark frame noise reduction). If the shutter speed is slow enough, if the exposure is long enough, the camera will then take a second frame with the shutter closed. During this time, the camera is frozen as if it is taking a photo. This exposure can be long, depending on the shutter speed. This type of NR is useful,as the dark frame's noise info is then used to reduce the noise in the actual photo.

However, after the photo is taken, the camera should write it to card and quickly be ready to take another photo. Especially a K-3 camera. Now, if the card is slow, the write speed might take some time. Or if the contacts of the SD card are damaged, if there are particles or dust there, then it might cause some problems as well. A damaged battery could also cause problems, this has been found on previous models as well. Can you try another battery?
But if the camera consistently locks up, I would try to get it exchanged. Not repaired, but exchanged, as that is faster. Just claim the camera came defective (as opposed to "became defective"), as that makes a difference in some countries' warranty rules.
04-20-2015, 10:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

a) the clang you hear when the camera is shaken is the SR. SR is floating free when camera is off, so you will hear it move around if you shake. This is normal for pretty much all Pentax DSLRs. Doing things like walking or running will not damage this mechanism, but shaking the camera on purpose, rattling it, is not a good idea in general (goes for other brands as well). If you turn on live view, you can hear the SR as a faint buzzing sound, as the magnets are holding the sensor in place. You will hear both of these sounds even if you disable the SR function.

b) If you use 2 sec timer, the camera will automatically lock up the mirror when you press the shutter, then take the exposure. MLU is normal here. 12 sec timer is different, without MLU.
The camera "freezing" after a photo might actually be the slow frame NR (dark frame noise reduction). If the shutter speed is slow enough, if the exposure is long enough, the camera will then take a second frame with the shutter closed. During this time, the camera is frozen as if it is taking a photo. This exposure can be long, depending on the shutter speed. This type of NR is useful,as the dark frame's noise info is then used to reduce the noise in the actual photo.

However, after the photo is taken, the camera should write it to card and quickly be ready to take another photo. Especially a K-3 camera. Now, if the card is slow, the write speed might take some time. Or if the contacts of the SD card are damaged, if there are particles or dust there, then it might cause some problems as well. A damaged battery could also cause problems, this has been found on previous models as well. Can you try another battery?
But if the camera consistently locks up, I would try to get it exchanged. Not repaired, but exchanged, as that is faster. Just claim the camera came defective (as opposed to "became defective"), as that makes a difference in some countries' warranty rules.
A) I am aware of SR and the sound it makes. This was not the sound of Pentax K-3 or any camera makes, when it is ok. When I tilted the camera from left to right and front to back, it was a loud sound like something moving really loose from side to side. Not a shake reduction mechanism! And I have used live view my share. I am aware of its sounds too. The only possible part inside a camera able to keep a sound like that is a mirror if it is not working properly.

B) I did not use a timer (this time) I am aware with its effect too. And I don't think this time having a problem with my card buffer either. There was not anything different in my photo shooting, that I wouldn't have done many times before, except a total freezing of a camera and this sound.
After this happened, I immediately checked a camera through: All the shooting options and that there was not anything loose particles inside.

About the battery: Like I wrote I had two batteries, the original one and a Hahnel copy, Both fully charged. Thsi happened with both of them.

Having used the camera for six months now, I won't ever get it replaced in here. No way!
Like I told, if this happens one more time, I am going to send my camera and the lens to Pentax care in Sweden for to inspected.

This thread may as well be closed. Thank You!

04-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supakatti Quote
A) I am aware of SR and the sound it makes. This was not the sound of Pentax K-3 or any camera makes, when it is ok. When I tilted the camera from left to right and front to back, it was a loud sound like something moving really loose from side to side. Not a shake reduction mechanism! And I have used live view my share. I am aware of its sounds too. The only possible part inside a camera able to keep a sound like that is a mirror if it is not working properly.
Yeah, I didn't see your second reply when I wrote this. Its just that we often get people confused by the SR, no offense meant
Hope you get it all sorted out! I think in Finland (and all of EU) you have 2 years warranty, so it should work. Good luck
04-20-2015, 06:00 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think in Finland (and all of EU) you have 2 years warranty, so it should work. Good luck
What he said. This is something for the repair guys to fix.

Steve
04-20-2015, 10:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you fellows! I know I sound unhappy, that is what I am.

But it is not because of you!

The spring is just starting to bloom around here. The best time of the year to stroll around with a camera. And now it seems that I am having problems with it.

I have to try to find some cheap second hand K-5 when I send my K-3 to repair. It was really unvice to sell my previous camerabody away some time ago. Really unvice...

I am sorry being grumpy, pals!
04-21-2015, 02:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

No worries, we understand! It is too sad, hope everything works out for you in the end