Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2015, 11:56 AM   #1

Help Please!

Hiya fellow Pentaxians,

I have just bought myself a 2nd hand Tamron 70-300mm lens with macro capability but using it with my K-r the lens just simply does not auto focus and I am left with out of focus shots everytime, I have tried manually focussing but although it is better it is nowhere near as sharp as my 50-200mm Pentax DAL lens.

Have I just bought a lens which is useless or is there something I can do to resolve this?

Thanks,

Brian

04-20-2015, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you say "does not auto focus" do you mean it tries and fails or that it does not even try?

Also, there are at least 3 (maybe more) Tamron 70-300 lenses so you need to specify the exact model to get good help.
04-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #3

Original Poster
I will have to go and dig it out and let you know the exact model. The camera / lens goes through the process of autofocussing and it bleeps as usual when it thinks it has a focus but in reality it is not in focus at all.
The lens is a TAMRON AF 70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD Macro - PENTAX FIT
Thanks jatrax for your reply.
04-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When it completes the focusing attempt is the green hex in the viewfinder solid green or blinking?

Also, I'm familiar with the Tamron 70-300 but check to be sure it is not in the 'macro' mode. Some lenses there is a switch, some you have to twist the zoom ring a certain way.

04-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When it completes the focusing attempt is the green hex in the viewfinder solid green or blinking?

Also, I'm familiar with the Tamron 70-300 but check to be sure it is not in the 'macro' mode. Some lenses there is a switch, some you have to twist the zoom ring a certain way.
The lens has an aperture ring which I leave set on "A"
There is a switch to set it for Macro but I have checked to ensure that it is switched off and not on Macro.
I get the feeling I have bought someone elses problem lens.
04-20-2015, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the green hex solid or blinking when you get the focus confirm? If solid then the camera thinks you have a good focus lock and I suspect there is something wrong with the lens. If the green hex is blinking you do not have a focus lock and you might be too close, might have the macro function on or the lens might be defective.

Any signs that the lens has been opened for a repair attempt? I have seen this happen and then it is reassembled incorrectly so that it no longer focuses right.
04-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Original Poster

Under normal circumstances I would never post a shot like this but this is exactly what is happening when the camera thinks it has a good focus with the Tamron lens, it is the only lens that this happens with. No signs of the lens being opened that I can see.

This is the link to my shot https://www.flickr.com/photos/bmdphotography-scotland/17028569828/in/pool-355326@N23

Last edited by Picbrian; 04-20-2015 at 02:24 PM.
04-20-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree, I wouldn't post that either

That does not really look out of focus so much as hazy or blurry. Almost like an old Vaseline gel. I think it really is in focus as far as the camera is concerned, but something is wrong with that lens. My guess would be either something is loose inside so that the elements are no longer in the proper position or someone opened it up and put an element in backwards or in the wrong order. It might also be internal haze or oil on the elements but it does not look quite right for that.

Hopefully someone with more Tamron experience than me will stop by and help you more.
04-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the same lens and it is razor sharp on my K10 and K3, although I really do not use it anymore. From the look of the picture it appears that the lens could be stuck in macro mode or somewhere in between. My guess is either the macro mode is the problem or there something inside the lens. These older lens, if left in wet or humid areas can develop haze inside. I am sorry to say but it seems you got a bad lens. Of course I could be wrong and it would be great if I was.