Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 03:19 AM   #1

My macro lens is not working with my camera

I have a Pentax ist DL2 camera which I have many lenses for. My macro lens which I have used many times before although it has been a number of years since I used it now does not wish to work for me. I have tried several times to take photos yesterday and it will not take a picture, it feels as if the camera was in the off position which of course it wasn't. Can anyone give me any advise as to get this lens up and running again as I would like to use it for my forthcoming gardening holiday in 3 weeks time

04-21-2015, 04:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by veronmiller Quote
I have a Pentax ist DL2 camera which I have many lenses for. My macro lens which I have used many times before although it has been a number of years since I used it now does not wish to work for me. I have tried several times to take photos yesterday and it will not take a picture, it feels as if the camera was in the off position which of course it wasn't. Can anyone give me any advise as to get this lens up and running again as I would like to use it for my forthcoming gardening holiday in 3 weeks time
It would REALLY help to know exactly what lens you are trying to use.

Without knowing that all our possible help will be vague.

Regards

Chris
04-21-2015, 04:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back to basics.
What lens is the camera not working with?
Is it autofocus, if so what type of autofocus?
Is lens a compatible type?
If lens is older type eg M42, has menu setting to allow camera to operate been set correctly
What lenses it it working with?
What precisely is not working on lens or camera, auto focus, shutter, aperture, display?
Ensure fully charged battery
Ensure camera turned on
Ensure the drive door is closed
Is there sufficient capacity on disk drive
Check camera working with other lenses.
Clean lens and camera contacts with microfibre cloth
Set AF switch in correct position.
04-21-2015, 04:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Yep, we need more info. And Bruce gave you a nice list of diagnostics.
What I would do is make sure the battery is charged, leave it outside of the camera for a couple hours. Make sure the camera and lens mount/contacts are clean and free of particles, grime. Check the SD card, make sure the contacts are clean, there is no dust in the slot. Then go into camera's Menu and Enable aperture ring (towards the end of the Menu). When mounting the lens, make sure it is fully mounted, it has to click into place. If the lens has an aperture ring, make sure it is in the A position (you might have to press a button to get it there. If the lens has no A on aperture ring, simply leave it at a number, like f5.6)

04-24-2015, 03:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
It would REALLY help to know exactly what lens you are trying to use.

Without knowing that all our possible help will be vague.

Regards

Chris
Thank you all for your responses. The lens I am trying to use is a macro Vivitar which I have used with this camera before without problems. The batteries are fully charged, on custom setting under aperture ring, it is permitted. I have tried my other lenses and they all work perfectly, so I am baffled as to why it no longer wishes to work. I tried it on auto as well as manuel settings.
04-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is the camera in AF mode? If so, it will only release the shutter if it confirms focus. Try setting it to MF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-25-2015, 02:34 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by veronmiller Quote
Thank you all for your responses. The lens I am trying to use is a macro Vivitar which I have used with this camera before without problems. The batteries are fully charged, on custom setting under aperture ring, it is permitted. I have tried my other lenses and they all work perfectly, so I am baffled as to why it no longer wishes to work. I tried it on auto as well as manuel settings.
Thank you for your advise, I set the camera to MF and now it is working. Many thanks, I can now go out and take the many spring flowers in the garden