Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

how to make k3 fire flash and auto focus in complete darkness.

Hi I heard something out side so I stuck my camera out side popped up the flash and I saw a green light come on but the shutter button would work. how do I make the camera flash and take a photo . I tried different modes I tried manual mode but the green light would not come on I though the green light was for distance to help with auto focus . but it did flask and fire in manual mode it just didn't auto focus on what I was pointing at . What I would like to be able to do is make the cameras flask come on and fire once like a pre fire red eye type thing so I can see what I need to be pointing at when it fires again . can I make my cameras flash flash and then a few seconds later flash again . Or is there another way to make the camera flask and focus on what the green light is pointing at . or just how do you take photos in complete darkness using a flash . Thanks

04-21-2015, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I usually just use a flashlight.
04-21-2015, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can't see, the camera can't see. With the focus assist light, you need to be fairly close and hold the camera steady. You can set the shutter button to "release priority" instead of "focus priority" so it will fire even if it doesn't see something in focus, but with auto-focus in the dark, you probably won't be getting stunning photos.

Set the camera to Manual focus and focus the lens to infinity. That should get you a flash photo you can see. If you can predict the area you will be taking pictures of, manually focus the lens so the distance scale indicates somewhere around the center of that area. Then set the aperture to f/5.6 or f/8 for good sharpness and depth of field around that focal distance. Your fastest shutter speed will be 1/180 sec. with the built-in pop-up flash, so you will be adjusting exposure by setting the ISO higher or lower. Shoot a few practice photos in the dark to test your settings so you're ready to go.
04-21-2015, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I usually just use a flashlight.
...which is why I always have a small LED flashlight in my bag.

04-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
If you can't see, the camera can't see. With the focus assist light, you need to be fairly close and hold the camera steady. You can set the shutter button to "release priority" instead of "focus priority" so it will fire even if it doesn't see something in focus, but with auto-focus in the dark, you probably won't be getting stunning photos.

Set the camera to Manual focus and focus the lens to infinity. That should get you a flash photo you can see. If you can predict the area you will be taking pictures of, manually focus the lens so the distance scale indicates somewhere around the center of that area. Then set the aperture to f/5.6 or f/8 for good sharpness and depth of field around that focal distance. Your fastest shutter speed will be 1/180 sec. with the built-in pop-up flash, so you will be adjusting exposure by setting the ISO higher or lower. Shoot a few practice photos in the dark to test your settings so you're ready to go.
Thanks That worked I just tried it in the basement where its completely dark with all the doors closed I raised the iso to 1600 and its pretty good I'll try to post a photo . I'm going to try it tonight out side and set my iso . I put it in manual mode and put it in manual focus . and put the lens on on most infinity I think out side infinity will work great . Thanks again .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
You can set the shutter button to "release priority" instead of "focus priority" so it will fire even if it doesn't see something in focus
Also, if "Button Customization"->"AF Button" is set to "Cancel AF", AF will be disabled as long as you push and hold the AF button (the button between the rear thumb wheel and the AE-L button). The camera will then release the shutter without requiring focus confirmation.

For temporarily manual focusing: 1) Adjust focus, 2) push and hold the AF button and 3) push the shutter release button. (1 and 2 may also be executed in the opposite order)

Or if you want the shutter to release when the camera auto focused, but did not get a focus confirmation: 1) Halfway push the shutter release for autofocus. 2) Push the shutter release further to release the shutter, but since camera did not get focus confirmation it will not release the shutter, so while still holding the shutter release fully down 3) push the AF button to release the shutter

Hope this was of any help.

Cheers

(And excuse my English. It is not my native language)

Last edited by nozoom; 04-21-2015 at 03:49 PM.
04-21-2015, 04:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nozoom Quote
Also, if "Button Customization"->"AF Button" is set to "Cancel AF", AF will be disabled as long as you push and hold the AF button (the button between the rear thumb wheel and the AE-L button). The camera will then release the shutter without requiring focus confirmation.

For temporarily manual focusing: 1) Adjust focus, 2) push and hold the AF button and 3) push the shutter release button. (1 and 2 may also be executed in the opposite order)

Or if you want the shutter to release when the camera auto focused, but did not get a focus confirmation: 1) Halfway push the shutter release for autofocus. 2) Push the shutter release further to release the shutter, but since camera did not get focus confirmation it will not release the shutter, so while still holding the shutter release fully down 3) push the AF button to release the shutter

Hope this was of any help.

Cheers

(And excuse my English. It is not my native language)
That's a nice little trick I think I'm going to do that . The AF button by default is just Auto focus button right . And If I set it to cancel AF it will make the AF button as a over ride of auto focus when I do your 3 step .thats what your saying right .
04-21-2015, 11:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

If you get a picture of Bigfoot, please post it here.

04-23-2015, 03:22 AM   #9

Original Poster
Is there a way to make the flask pre fire to the camera can focus on what the center focus red square while the flash lights every thing up and then fire again with that distance kind of like red I flash . If you have a external flask mounted can't you use that flash to manually fire so the camera can get a reading or is that reading only for light and not focus .
04-23-2015, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

The flash duration would be too short for the camera to use it for focusing. Pre-flash is generally for red eye reduction and communicating with other flashes.

The new AF360FGZ II has a built-in LED light which can be used for autofocus-assist. It is much brighter than onboard AF-assist light on the K-3.