Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #1

K50 With OVF Problem

My K50 is only a few months old and really like it. There is something that looks like dirt or some other contaminant in the OVF that does not show in the images. Lens is clean as is the eyepiece, so it must be internal. Since new to Pentax (except for my lovable ME Super from many years ago) and could anyone comment on whether this is a warranty covered item? It's not been in any dust and kept in a clean camera bag. Can anyone comment on warranty turnaround time? Assuming I cover shipping to them, but do they cover return? And they repair my camera and not send me a refurbished one? Many thanks Pentaxians!

04-21-2015, 05:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust or fibers in the view finder. Likely under the focusing screen. This would not be a warranty issue. Use a rocket blower to clean or just ignore it. Even if you clean it all out something will get back in there, it is a constant battle. Note that this is in the viewfinder only and has no effect on your images. Dust spots on the images are going to be from dust on the sensor, which a another whole issue.
04-21-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I get dust and fibers in my OVF all the time. If you are careful, you can take out the focusing screen to blow it out and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth. Just look straight into the mount area of the camera and you'll see the tray for the focus screen, carefully with your fingernail, pop the spring latch at the top of that tray, and it will hinge out. Take a rocket blower to the OVF cavity, and wipe the focus screen wth mf cloth or a lens brush. Place focus screen back into tray with the top tab facing up (if looking at it from the bottom of the camera with the pentax logo facing you right side up) the tab goes on the left hand side, if pentax logo is upside down and you're looking from the top of the camera, the tab would be on your right hand side. Press tray back into locked position.
04-21-2015, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimx200 Quote
There is something that looks like dirt or some other contaminant in the OVF that does not show in the images
Are you sure it's not the fresnel pattern that you see? It looks like grain would possibly be the best description? If so, it's normal.

04-21-2015, 11:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Check for dust on the mirror too.
04-22-2015, 09:49 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions and fast replies. I'm taking it to a friend who is a seasoned pro (former Nat Geo staff shooter) who will clean it for me. I know his weak spot..Sierra Nevada Pale Ale...lol.