Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 07:25 AM   #1

Pentax SV Film Counter Issue

Hello, I am the proud owner of a very nice Pentax SV that I believe was made in 1964. I have the lowest number serial number with the orange "R" of any registered camera on this site. I've already run a roll of film through the camera and got some wonderful shots. Attached to this post is a picture of my camera, and two shots I got from the first roll.

Everything about the camera works, except the film counter. Its stuck on 20. I notice that when I advance the film lever, it looks like the film counter wants to turn to 21, but it bounces back to 20.

Opening the rear door does not change anything. I've removed the light seals in both the top and bottom channels and made sure that nothing was obstructing that little pin that usually resets the film counter. Using a small 1mm flathead screwdriver, I gently prodded the pin and it appears to move back and forth as normal, but nothing will reset the frame counter.

It looks like there are 3 very small screws on the edge of the black disc that covers the film counter. I haven't tried opening this up yet, but does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? Is there anything I could do by removing that black disc? Or is this a job that requires removals of the entire top plate?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LG-VS980  Photo     
04-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try loosening those screws and see if it starts to work. Sometimes that cap gets pushed down against the counter. Taking the "cap" off isn't going to make anything jump out at you. Going below the counter dial (I think the screw that holds the dial on is left hand thread) is more complicated and hopefully you don't have to go there.