Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-22-2015, 03:33 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's Wrong with My New K-3?

I tried out my new K-3 today, and the color is terrible. This was shot in manual mode, with Cloudy WB on a cloudy day. The model is dressed in black.

Attached Images

04-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like your raw importer. The file has a PEF suffix which means you shot in raw. So the issue is the raw settings in your software.
04-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would guess that your JPEG Custom Image setting was on "bleach bypass" or "cross-process". Unfortunately, it is fairly easy to accidentally switch from other than the default ("bright") setting and the camera does not require a separate confirmation step. I don't use PDCU, but it is my understanding that it applies the custom image setting from the camera as part of its initial rendering of the RAW file.

See:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/285822-custom-image-settin...ml#post3116793

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-22-2015 at 04:07 PM.
04-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I second the first comment.

Is your raw import software up to date? Or are you using one that came with your previous camera? You can download a new lightroom 30-day trial which should be all up to date.

04-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
I tried out my new K-3 today, and the color is terrible. This was shot in manual mode, with Cloudy WB on a cloudy day. The model is dressed in black.
The camera might also be set to the cross processing JPEG preset in the custom image menu. Those defaults would then carry over to PDCU, though the image should be perfectly recoverable since it's a PEF.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2015, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, guys! It was set to "Cross Processing". It must have been like that out of the box. This is my second Pentax digital, my first being the K5IIs, and I've never used that screen before.
04-22-2015, 06:20 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, guys! It was set to "Cross Processing". It must have been like that out of the box. This is my second Pentax digital, my first being the K5IIs, and I've never used that screen before.
Isn't this just the coolest place?

04-22-2015, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is my second Pentax digital, my first being the K5IIs, and I've never used that screen before.
You will learn after a bit to be very careful not to touch the 4-way controller when shooting. I inadvertently switched to "cross-process" at some point soon after I first got my K-3 and was very disturbed until I figured out what had happened.

Steve
04-22-2015, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You will learn after a bit to be very careful not to touch the 4-way controller when shooting. I inadvertently switched to "cross-process" at some point soon after I first got my K-3 and was very disturbed until I figured out what had happened.

Steve
A locking switch for them would be very welcome.
04-22-2015, 09:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Perhaps this is why the K-S2's 4-way pad no longer controls the custom image settings.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: