Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is this CA normal for 43mm Limited?

Hello, I bought a used 43mm Limited and want to check if this kind of CA is normal. As images attached, it shows CA up to f2.5 and gradually disappears from f2.8, then completely disappears at f3.5. Is this typical for a 43mm Limited lens? I've read that 43mm has some CA. Thanks for your comments!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-23-2015, 10:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, fairly normal behavior....(nothing to worry)
04-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #3
HYS
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It seems to be normal.

Pentax SMC FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited - Lab Test / Review - Analysis

I have this lens and I like it very much. It's excellent. But from 4 or 5.6 up.
The optical designer maneged to achieve both creamy and sharp (this only my personal opinion) but not fast lens.
BTW this longitudinal CA can be "cured" by the software in a great deal.
Personally I don't like this procedure. I have the feeling that is "steals"
something from the rest of the picture.

Last edited by HYS; 04-23-2015 at 10:53 PM.
04-23-2015, 11:10 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ychousa Quote
Hello, I bought a used 43mm Limited and want to check if this kind of CA is normal. As images attached, it shows CA up to f2.5 and gradually disappears from f2.8, then completely disappears at f3.5. Is this typical for a 43mm Limited lens? I've read that 43mm has some CA. Thanks for your comments!
That's just spherochromatism, but yes a little bit of fringing is normal with this lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, that is normal. It gets even crazier when you provoke the lens with harsh light or challenging subjects.
04-24-2015, 08:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think its called longitudinal CA, axial CA, or bokeh CA. Pentax primes in general are good with dealing with lateral CA, but they usually exhibit some axial CA, at least wide open). Some say this is left uncorrected because correcting it would affect the look of the bokeh negatively. Both types of CA usually disappear if you stop down a little.

Purple fringing is another thing. Its complicated, but fairly easy to correct with software
Lateral CA can be corrected in-camera if you shoot jpeg. If you shoot raw, most PP software will let you fix it as well.
Axial CA can be corrected in the final version of Lightroom I think, but not in the older versions.
04-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Axial CA can be corrected in the final version of Lightroom I think, but not in the older versions.
Truly?! If so, that would be very cool!

Steve

04-24-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

My FA 43 shows similar behavior. It's a bad lens if you just look at numbers from lab tests, but for real world shooting it gives nice images. I always shoot DNG and I can use Lightroom to repair the occasional photo that shows objectionable fringing.
04-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Truly?! If so, that would be very cool!
Please double-check before making any purchases! I still use an old version, I only say LR can do that be cause I was told so

Edit: Oh, more info here http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/04/new-color-fringe-correction-controls.html
04-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Please double-check before making any purchases! I still use an old version, I only say LR can do that be cause I was told so

Edit: Oh, more info here New Color Fringe Correction Controls
OK...that capability is included in LR 5.x (which I have). I thought your were referring to the new 6.x. I have used the de-fringe feature, but it is a bit of a fussy tool and not as easy as the one used for lateral CA.

Steve
04-24-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments, folks! Relieved from worries. Thanks a bunch!!!
04-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Yes, that is normal. It gets even crazier when you provoke the lens with harsh light or challenging subjects.
i kind of noticed that too when I went out for a shoot last weekend-it look like for some shots, the original hood might not be enough. Would it be recommended to use a bigger lens hood? What is your experience with that? Thanks!

---------- Post added 04-25-15 at 08:22 AM ----------

Purple fringing is another thing. Its complicated, but fairly easy to correct with software
Lateral CA can be corrected in-camera if you shoot jpeg. If you shoot raw, most PP software will let you fix it as well.
Could you give me an advice where to find more info? I tried some youtube videos to remove CA or purple fringing in Photoshop, but they didn't fix CA or PF successfully. I'd appreciate if you can give a couple links to learn

Thanks!