Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #1

K-3 Self-timer vs Mirror-lockup

Hello,

I am a new to photography and just myself a tripod. I am trying to get sharp images and as I understand the mirror is raised in both modes when I first press the shutter button but in self-timer and remote the exposure is not locked and can change when the shutter releases and for that I need to cover the viewfinder or use the AE lock function, my question is which mode will yield the best results, I like self-timer but I don't like locking the exposure each time I take a photo.

Thank you for your help!

04-24-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Markx Quote
Hello,

I am a new to photography and just myself a tripod. I am trying to get sharp images and as I understand the mirror is raised in both modes when I first press the shutter button but in self-timer and remote the exposure is not locked and can change when the shutter releases and for that I need to cover the viewfinder or use the AE lock function, my question is which mode will yield the best results, I like self-timer but I don't like locking the exposure each time I take a photo.

Thank you for your help!
If I understand correctly the exposure changes from when you have your eye on the viewfinder and when you step back to take the shot. Is that what you mean? Depending on what you are shooting, you could set up the shot, switch into live view to check your exposure, then use either self timer or remote.

There are two sources of vibration. One is you, when you let go of the body it takes a bit of time to settle down. A remote or self timer works in that case.

The second source is the mirror opening and the shutter action. There is an audible clunk as it swings out of the way, creating some vibration. Mirror up mode or live view mode removes that source.

Much depends on what you shoot. If you need to capture a scene that is changing, delays cause a problem. If the scene is static, then mirror up with a delay gets rid of almost all vibration sources and is the best option.

I shoot moving scenes, and if I am looking to capture something far away with a long lens I use live view. The action on triggering the shutter is to close the shutter then open it again for the exposure. And I can trigger it to capture the scene when I want to.
04-24-2015, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Markx Quote
Hello,

Thank you for your help!
Place your thumb over the viewfinder opening as you step away from the camera. You don't have to touch the camera. That will prevent stray light from entering the viewfinder and biasing the exposure.

Steve
04-24-2015, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Place your thumb over the viewfinder opening as you step away from the camera. You don't have to touch the camera. That will prevent stray light from entering the viewfinder and biasing the exposure.

Steve
Best idea I've read in a long time

04-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

To my knowledge, the self-timer raises the mirror when the photo is taken, not x seconds before it.
04-25-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
To my knowledge, the self-timer raises the mirror when the photo is taken, not x seconds before it.
Not with my K200D and *istDS in 2s delay mode. To make sure, I just tried.
04-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter

The 2 second timer raises the mirror, waits 2 seconds then takes the shot.

The 12 second timer waits 12 seconds then raises the mirror and takes the shot.

I assume the exposure is determined just before raising the mirror in both cases but wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong.

So, as I eventually learned, if you want to reduce camera shake, use the 2 sec timer not the 12.
04-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
I assume the exposure is determined just before raising the mirror in both cases but wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong.
Yes, the meter cells read off the image on the focus screen and the exposure is determined just prior to the mirror lifting. When the mirror is up, the meter is blind.

Steve

04-25-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

That seems logical enough. Imagine you want to get yourself in the pic and happen to be wearing a white shirt while everyone else still has their dark jacket on. This will upset the exposure if it were done at the first press but would be safe enough towards the end of the 12s once you've put yourself in the frame.
04-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
Not with my K200D and *istDS in 2s delay mode. To make sure, I just tried.
That is the mirror-up function, not the (10 second) self-timer. My vocabulary is maybe slightly different from yours and I should probably be a little clearer.
12-18-2015, 03:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
My K-5 II came with a viewfinder cover piece. The K-3s probably come with the same piece in the box.
12-18-2015, 03:58 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by amrocha Quote
The K-3s probably come with the same piece in the box.
Indeed it does

...although almost everyone loses theirs pretty quickly. It is also a pain to use in actual practice and is impractical except for use during long exposures where the intent is to minimize potential light leak onto the sensor during the actual exposure. The thumb method is useful to avoid biasing the meter prior to mirror-up.

Steve

* The mirror generally does an adequate job of blocking light from the viewfinder during exposure, but long exposures present a challenge.