Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2015, 05:42 PM   #1

Trouble downloading images from K-3

I have a new K-3 which replaced my K-x, and for the life of me I cannot get it to download my photos.

With the K-x I just jacked it into the computer and brought up the Pentax program. Now, when I do that, the program is giving me the message "Could not find DCF Media". I tried taking the disk out and putting it directly into the computer and I'm having no luck with that either, my computer is just asking me if I want to format the disks, but will not do it (I tried that with the second disk).

I can view the photos on my camera, but not on the computer at all, and can't download them. What am I doing wrong?

All help is greatly appreciated.

04-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MAC or Windows?
04-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
Windows.

By the way, I meant to post this in Troubleshooting, so I may double post this.
04-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Click cancel to the question "Do you want to format the card". Because you don't - that would delete your images. There is some bug in Windows somewhere that makes this prompt come up.

After clicking cancel you should then be able to see the SD card as a drive and copy your files.

If you use the Pentax program (Digital Camera Utility) you should install the one that came with your K-3.

(Thread moved to "Troubleshooting")

04-24-2015, 06:19 PM   #5

Original Poster
I just transferred my images from one card to another, and it's still not recognizing my card or my camera at all. I'm using the program, but it's as if it can't see my camera. It does see the old K-x.

Totally baffled.

---------- Post added 04-24-15 at 07:32 PM ----------

When the cards are in, it wants to format them. Otherwise, it's as if it doesn't even see the camera when its jacked in. So I've tried two different methods here with no success at all.

Camera issue?
04-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Were you using these cards on the k-x or are they new cards?

How old is your computer?

Newer cards sometimes require an update to the drivers of your card reader. On my computer I had to replace the card reader because it was not compatible with newer SD cards and no new drivers were available.

Do you have the USB connection on the camera set to MSC or PTP?
04-24-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
They are new cards. I kept the old card in the kx. It's an old computer however, several years old. It wouldn't have even occurred to me that I might need a new card reader. Perhaps I can check that by jacking the camera into a newer computer.

I don't even know what MSC or PTP means, so I'll have to check that after I figure out what that means. What should it be set on?

---------- Post added 04-24-15 at 07:52 PM ----------

Just jacked it into my wife's lap tops, and there the photos are. Must be this ancient computer. Drat.
04-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pat_H Quote
Just jacked it into my wife's lap tops, and there the photos are. Must be this ancient computer. Drat.
As a test try the old card from k-x in the k-3, take a few test shots and see if they can be downloaded. I bet they will.

MSC and PTP are different protocols. MSC is media storage class and PTP is picture transfer protocol. I think it should be MSC but just use the card reader so I'm not 100% sure. Try both. This is for when the camera is connected to the computer via USB.

Look in Device Manager in windows and find out who makes your card reader then see if there are updated drivers available. If not get a new USB card reader @ $10. That's what I did for my wife's computer.

04-24-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pat_H Quote
Must be this ancient computer. Drat.
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
If not get a new USB card reader @ $10. That's what I did for my wife's computer.

Your card reader is probably only SD compatible while your new card is SDHC.

Keep in mind that the bigger file sizes of the K3 pretty much demand the transfer speed of USB3.

In your "ancient computer" this would require the addition of a USB3 (pci, pcie) card inside the computer and then either the camera (via a USB3 lead) or a USB3 card reader plugged into the new card (directly or via a USB3 lead) .

However, your camera plugged into your computer via USB2 (your existing setup) should still work so perhaps jatrax it correct about the MSC/PTP bit.
04-24-2015, 07:41 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

MSC and PTP are different protocols. MSC is media storage class and PTP is picture transfer protocol. I think it should be MSC but just use the card reader so I'm not 100% sure. Try both. This is for when the camera is connected to the computer via USB.

How do I check that setting in the camera?
04-24-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Menu>Wrench_2>USB Connection

Let us know which one works if it does. I do not see any reason why the USB connection should not work. Though if you have USB 2.0 only it will be much slower than USB 3.0
04-24-2015, 07:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
Yep...This happened to me.

Steve
04-28-2015, 04:29 AM   #13
Banned

Have your updated your driver to the new K-3 model? I guess the card you are using is not compatible with the new K-3 model. Try to insert a new card . Also update the driver or re install the driver which comes with the camera itself.
04-28-2015, 04:38 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alfa75ts Quote
+1 My experience as well. Try a new card reader.
04-28-2015, 05:18 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Hi,
Are you connecting the camera to the computer, or are you reading the SD-card via a card reader (i.e. card is not in the camera)?

Just to make sure: You have to use the newest version of the "Pentax program", the one that came on the CD with the camera. An older version will probably not work with the K3.