Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
trigger on Kx not coming up

The trigger button on my a couple of years old Kx gets stuck when pushed. One can fiddle a little and it comes back up, but not with any strength. I suppose there are som feather thats worn out. Anyone who couls advise on this ? Should I send it in for service or is it an easy fix and in that case, how do I go about doing it ? /Mats

04-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shutter button on the k-x has a reputation for sticking. Usually some dirt or dust has gotten into it. Worst case it needs cleaned professionally.

But try this first. With the camera off repeatedly press the shutter button firmly all the way down and release. Do this 20 - 30 times and see if it helps. If not, then you can also try electronic cleaner but personally I would just send it in for service.
04-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
With the camera off repeatedly press the shutter button firmly all the way down and release. Do this 20 - 30 times and see if it helps.
I'd do this with the camera upside down. Also flicking it with a finger nail might help.
04-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
isopropanol

Got the advice on another forum to pour some Isopropanol - about a teaspoon - via the battery hole, to try to clean the camera. Comments on that ?

04-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rednax Quote
Comments on that ?
Maybe, but it's pretty easy to take the top off the camera and access the button directly.

Note: the seven screws are - one by each strap, two under the eye cup, one (the centre one) under the flash, one in the battery compartment and one (not circled in the above link) near the "K-x" on the side of the body.
04-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got the advice on another forum to pour some Isopropanol - about a teaspoon - via the battery hole, to try to clean the camera. Comments on that ?
I think forum rules prevent actually typing what I think about that.
04-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #7

Sounds like a sure way to kill the camera once and for all. Alcohol reacts with many of the coatings and lubricants used in the camera. And electronics and liquids seldom mix. You have no way of controlling where that liquid will go and most of it is going to end up in places where it will do no good - just about any where inside.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think forum rules prevent actually typing what I think about that.
You got that right!

04-27-2015, 12:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Sounds like a sure way to kill the camera once and for all. Alcohol reacts with many of the coatings and lubricants used in the camera. And electronics and liquids seldom mix. You have no way of controlling where that liquid will go and most of it is going to end up in places where it will do no good - just about any where inside.

You got that right!
Yeah, I thought that sounded risky....I think IŽll just hand it in for service. Will report back when I get it back. Thanks! /Mats
04-27-2015, 01:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I used switch cleaner when mine did the same, and haven't had any problems since...
05-28-2015, 12:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
Got my Kx back from service. The spring under the trigger changed and after cleaning the camera looks like new. Cost 700 kronor = 82usd. Mats