Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2015, 08:42 PM   #1

Kit lens sounds like something is broken...rattles

Help! I am brand new to DSLR and am trying to determine if something is wrong with my 18-55mm kit lens. If shaken, it rattles as if something inside is broken. I'm unsure if this is part of the shake resistant feature and it is supposed to sound that way or if something is wrong? I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you!

04-29-2015, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The shake reduction is not in the lens. If I shake my 18-55mm I don't notice a rattle.....
04-29-2015, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your lenses is still on guarantee just, sent it back to place where you buy it, may be they will replace it with new one or sent to pentax service to check it out
04-30-2015, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera may rattle (because of SR mechanism) but not normally the lens although sometimes an aperture lever can rattle a tiny bit though (if it shook it hard enough).

Lens sounds like it might be suspect. You could post a video of the rattle for people to assess better though.

05-01-2015, 03:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your help. I've contacted the retailer and they don't want to help. They told me to contact Pentax and I sent them a request for help. I'm also going to contact my credit card to see if they can advocate for a replacement of the entire kit. After looking at the receipt and owners manuals, I realized that the warranty information was not in the box. I've got a feeling someone already returned it as defective and it was accidentally resold.