Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #1

Pentax K-x Card error

I have been offered a K-x to replace my K100d. On start up I get the "Memory card" error as described by dozens of posts on the net. I have tried all sorts of cards and batteries, etc. Formatting cards,etc. When holding down the Menu button on start up with the card with Ver 1.03 firmware, it shows the current ver. 1.01, and then the error msg. Any info will be welcome! Or shall I just forget about the K-X?
Thank you
Johann

04-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It has been a long time since I had the k-x but it is possible it cannot handle newer SDXC cards. What type of card are you using with it? SD, SDHC or SDXC?

Also, make sure the SD card port door is completely closed.

Updating to the latest firmware would also be recommended. If I remember correctly there were a number of improvements with 1.03 but I don not remember if they included memory cards.
04-30-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Thread moved to proper area. Archives articles is not where this belonged.
04-30-2015, 02:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Yes, the K-x can use a SDXC but only with the firmware update. You said you have the firmware on the memory card. Did you put the .bin file on that card and in the root directory, not in a folder on the card?

04-30-2015, 05:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Yes, the K-x can use a SDXC but only with the firmware update. You said you have the firmware on the memory card. Did you put the .bin file on that card and in the root directory, not in a folder on the card?
Also, make sure you extract the file before placing on the root directory of the card. If it has .zip on the end, you have not extracted it. it must have .bin on the end.
04-30-2015, 05:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

echo in here.
04-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohannMendelsohn Quote
I have tried all sorts of cards
If you don't mind me asking, putting aside firmware upgrade have you tried a memory card that is sure to work, something like a standard 2GB SD card and see if the error message persists? If the cards you've been trying are SDXC which are not supported by FW 1.01, this might be the reason for the error message. If you still get an error even with a non-SDXC card then I'm afraid it might be more than just firmware upgrade.
05-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
It has been a long time since I had the k-x but it is possible it cannot handle newer SDXC cards. What type of card are you using with it? SD, SDHC or SDXC?

Also, make sure the SD card port door is completely closed.

Updating to the latest firmware would also be recommended. If I remember correctly there were a number of improvements with 1.03 but I don not remember if they included memory cards.
SD and SDHC only. Card door closed properly. As per my post: I insert card with Bin file but it does not SEE it

---------- Post added 05-01-15 at 10:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Positive! It foes not see any card. Bin in root.

---------- Post added 05-01-15 at 10:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Also, make sure you extract the file before placing on the root directory of the card. If it has .zip on the end, you have not extracted it. it must have .bin on the end.
I have done that. I have updated Firmware before on K100d as well as varius Canons

---------- Post added 05-01-15 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
If you don't mind me asking, putting aside firmware upgrade have you tried a memory card that is sure to work, something like a standard 2GB SD card and see if the error message persists? If the cards you've been trying are SDXC which are not supported by FW 1.01, this might be the reason for the error message. If you still get an error even with a non-SDXC card then I'm afraid it might be more than just firmware upgrade.
Yes, they all worked. It came with an old 512kb card used while it still worked. It then started give the error msg. This old card works on pc, mac, and other cameras. Sending a camera in to Pentax here in South Africa apparently takes months to get results, according to a dealer. Makes one think if it is worth while to persue this avenue or just scrap it. Thanks for all the replies. Let's try a bit longer!

---------- Post added 05-01-15 at 10:18 AM ----------

Yes, they all worked. It came with an old 512kb card used while it still worked. It then started give the error msg. This old card works on pc, mac, and other cameras. Sending a camera in to Pentax here in South Africa apparently takes months to get results, according to a dealer. Makes one think if it is worth while to persue this avenue or just scrap it. Thanks for all the replies. Let's try a bit longer!

05-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Did you try to reset the camera back to default settings? It might not matter but to cover everything, that's what I would try to do and see if it helps. Sure can't hurt.
05-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Try using a rocket blower on the card slot. A piece of dirt may be the cause. Also, do not trust the battery indicator as to charge level. Remove and charge overnight to insure a full charge. Many different and seemingly unrelated errors seem to crop up with low battery charge.
If the 512 card works in the computer, try reformatting with fat32 it in computer and leaving it blank for testing in camera.
If cards that work in your other camera wont work in this one, your only solution may be to send for servicing.
05-01-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter

K-x uses AA batteries, not the single Pentax/Wasabi Li109 or other. But you should still make sure the batteries are fully charged, and probably shouldn't be using standard alkaline ones either. My K100d wouldn't even power up with standard alkaline batteries.