Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-7 Front e-dial in Manual Mode

Hi everyone,

Just writing to inquire as to whether anyone else has experienced this issue with the front e-dial on the Pentax K-7 when used in Manual metering mode. Basically, this is what happens – according to page 107 of the instruction manual, the front e-dial can be used to adjust the shutter speed after a metered reading is taken by pressing the Green button. When I attempt to do this on my K-7 (irrespective of which way the dial is turned), the shutter speed values change in one direction only (e.g. from 1/80s > 1/125s > 1/250s, etc, all the way to the maximum shutter speed).

No matter which way I turn the front e-dial, there is no way of going back to a slower shutter speed and the value indicated remains on 1/800s or whatever. I have come up with a work-around using the AE-Lock button (and adjusting the rear e-dial until the desired shutter speed is attained, after which I disengage the AE-lock button, change the aperture setting to the desired value using the rear e-dial, then use the AE-lock button to lock these settings).

Please tell me that it shouldn’t be this hard !

Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback on this issue.

05-01-2015, 10:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobuddy25 Quote
Hi everyone,

Just writing to inquire as to whether anyone else has experienced this issue with the front e-dial on the Pentax K-7 when used in Manual metering mode. Basically, this is what happens – according to page 107 of the instruction manual, the front e-dial can be used to adjust the shutter speed after a metered reading is taken by pressing the Green button. When I attempt to do this on my K-7 (irrespective of which way the dial is turned), the shutter speed values change in one direction only (e.g. from 1/80s > 1/125s > 1/250s, etc, all the way to the maximum shutter speed).

No matter which way I turn the front e-dial, there is no way of going back to a slower shutter speed and the value indicated remains on 1/800s or whatever. I have come up with a work-around using the AE-Lock button (and adjusting the rear e-dial until the desired shutter speed is attained, after which I disengage the AE-lock button, change the aperture setting to the desired value using the rear e-dial, then use the AE-lock button to lock these settings).

Please tell me that it shouldn’t be this hard !

Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback on this issue.
There are various e-dial customization options, and they are mode-specific. Are you sure your front e-dial is configured correctly?

This is a screenshot from the K-50 but the K-7 is similar:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-01-2015, 11:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adam, I can't really imagine a customization that, regardless of direction, only allows increase (or decrease for that matter) of a parameter.

Photobuddy25, try TAv mode (or any other mode where the front dial is functional; or customize e.g. Av mode to use the front dial for aperture); is the behaviour the same?
Although it's just a guess, try a reset to factory defaults.
Further the dial might just be dirty (inside), but I would expect inconsistent behaviour in that case, not what you describe.
05-02-2015, 12:40 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Pentax K-7 Front e-dial in Manual Mode

Hi sterretje and Adam,

Thanks for the quick responses. I will try a factory reset and then go through my customisation options, hopefully this will help. Will report back on whether this has fixed the problem, although I am inclined to agree with sterretje, as the camera should work according to the manual straight out of the box (I have been using Aperture Priority mode 99% of the time during which I had the camera).

Regards,
Chris