Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #1

[Solved] K10D: How to deactivate JPEG+RAW?

Originally I set my K10D to shoot in JPEG+RAW. Now I think I'm over that and don't want to have duplicated files... but I can't find where to set that off. I've looked over all the menues three times and nothing. Could anybody enlighten me?

Last edited by Barresian; 05-02-2015 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Error in the title.
05-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

First menu (Rec mode) second page - "File Format" - choices JPEG, RAW, RAW+. Choose JPEG for JPEG only or RAW for RAW only. Second menu choice Choose "RAW file format" (PEF or DNG). Press in the RAW button the side of the camera will toggle to or from RAW+. You can set this so it resets after the next image or remains set until you press the RAW button again or turn off the camera. See the Custom Menu, page 5 first choice "One-touch RAW + JPEG"

Mine is set to "RAW", "PEF" and "Continue" for the RAW button.
05-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
First menu (Rec mode) second page - "File Format" - choices JPEG, RAW, RAW+. Choose JPEG for JPEG only or RAW for RAW only. Second menu choice Choose "RAW file format" (PEF or DNG). Press in the RAW button the side of the camera will toggle to or from RAW+. You can set this so it resets after the next image or remains set until you press the RAW button again or turn off the camera. See the Custom Menu, page 5 first choice "One-touch RAW + JPEG"

Mine is set to "RAW", "PEF" and "Continue" for the RAW button.
Oh god, thanks! I was wondering what the + after the Raw ment... but didn't connect the dots. Thank you very much!

Would you recommend PEF over DNG?
05-02-2015, 02:58 PM   #4

PEF is just my personal preference. DNG is recognized by almost every piece of software that handles RAW files. And when Pentax/Ricoh makes changes to the PEF you have to wait until Adobe or other software publishers update drivers for that version. There might have been some other silly reason such as the way the files get named on the card too.

Most people prefer DNG because it is handled by more software.

05-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
PEF is just my personal preference. DNG is recognized by almost every piece of software that handles RAW files. And when Pentax/Ricoh makes changes to the PEF you have to wait until Adobe or other software publishers update drivers for that version. There might have been some other silly reason such as the way the files get named on the card too.

Most people prefer DNG because it is handled by more software.
Ok, thanks. I've been using DNG for that reason too (and to avoid Exifs), was just wondering if I was missing a part of the story. Thanks!
05-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barresian Quote
Ok, thanks. I've been using DNG for that reason too (and to avoid Exifs)
Avoid EXIFs? What do you mean?
DNG still has all metadata embedded via the embedded JPG preview image (which you cannot disable)
05-02-2015, 03:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Avoid EXIFs? What do you mean?
DNG still has all metadata embedded via the embedded JPG preview image (which you cannot disable)
Sorry, my mistake... I ment the XMP sidecar files (which would be irrelevant now with Lightroom though).

This, the "hot" instead of "how-to" in the thread title... my god, I think I need to go to bed.