Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Better viewfinder?

I would like a better one. I heard about the katzeye. They are not making now. Could not find any online.

It's for a k-5.

Thanks !

05-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I remember correctly, there was a recent thread about a company purchasing katzeye. I'll see if I can remember where it is.
05-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try Focusing Screen I got mine there.

Also you need to look for a "focusing screen" not a "viewfinder". Might be why an online search did not find what you wanted.
05-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I would like a better one. I heard about the katzeye. They are not making now. Could not find any online.

It's for a k-5.

Thanks !
Katzeye should be back in business soon if they aren't already. They announced that they would be re-opening the entire store.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. $42 for the Pentax ML-60. It has great reviews. Should I get that or hold out x number of months for the katzeye? I don't even know what that one looks like.
05-03-2015, 04:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The Katz eye most seem to find useful for focusing with manual lenses, for which is the type most film cameras use. With having peak focusing, live view zoom available plus 100% view I personally don't find the need to go back to a split focus view screen. I did change to the ML 60 and find it very useful for composing and leveling my shots via the viewfinder.
05-03-2015, 05:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Katzeye has announced they will reopen the doors May 1 they have been purchased and intend to expand the line! hopefully the prices will come down a little I need one of there focus screens for my old eyes but they are pricey. Actually they are making a focus screen which used to be standard issue with SLRs my Olympus OM1n had one back in 1979!

home | shopping cart | checkout | order tracking

KatzEye™ Optics SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment

KatzEye™ Focusing Screens Available Again Soon!

Dear Fellow Photographer,

Great News!! Recent negotiations have proved successful and I am pleased to announce that KatzEye™ Optics will be acquired by a premier manufacturer of microstructured optics. This strategic collaboration will leverage the best skills of both companies and will allow KatzEye™ Optics to continue to support the photographic community. We are so pleased that instead of having to close the doors, a way was found for KatzEye™ products to continue to be available, and even to expand the product line to more camera models. Exciting times!

Online ordering will be available very soon, as quickly as systems can be merged. We are currently targeting May 1st for our "grand re-opening". Our customer support will of course continue to be available throughout the transition. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us

Thank you for your patronage and your trust, and we look forward to continuing to be part of your photographic experience!

Warmest Regards,
The KatzEye™ Optics Team

05-03-2015, 05:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok great thanks ! Katzeye " pricey" I assume that means $100. And the Pentax 60 works great for tired old eyes like mine at $42.

I will order this morning.
05-03-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Just be careful installing, view screens scratch easy. Use lint free or powder free gloves and work in a dust free area. It should come with an installation tool.
05-03-2015, 09:27 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
Ok great thanks ! Katzeye " pricey" I assume that means $100. And the Pentax 60 works great for tired old eyes like mine at $42.

I will order this morning.
Just a small "heads-up"...the ML-60 is the same as the MF-60 that came with your camera except for addition of a 4x4 grid as an aid for composition.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-03-2015 at 09:35 AM.
05-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can use the lines. Maybe it turns out the katzeye is much much better. If it is I'll wait a while or get it when I upgrade down the line.