Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #1

DA* 50-135 won't focus past 30-35 feet

I love this lens and it stays on my camera 75% of the time, but I am about to throw the thing against a brick wall.

Background - I bought the lens in November of 2013 and in August of 2014 I started having problems focusing on anything past 30-35 feet. It is like the focus ring reaches the end, but needs to turn a bit more to focus (not hunting). Oddly - it wasn't happening 100% of the time. By October, it never focused at these distances (auto or manually by the way) so I sent it out to Precision Camera. I was very pleased, as the turn around was less than two weeks. I can't find the ticket at the moment, but pretty sure all they did was replace SDM motor (wondering if they just assumed this was the problem). However, by January it was doing the same thing. It worked here and there I think, but mostly did not work. I called Precision and they said to send it back for a "Redo." They received it late January and I just got it back this past Thursday. Over 3 months without the lens; a lens I was lost without at so many of my children's activities. This time they replaced the Flex Circuit B. Guess what... Still doesn't work!

I am planning on dealing with this sometime this week, but am hoping to get some advice on how to proceed. I would really rather not contact Precision again as I have no faith my issue will be corrected and I want a working copy of this lens immediately. Calling Ricoh directly tomorrow is where I am thinking I will start. Does anyone have experience with this problem? I did a search and found threads about focus issues at infinity - which seems to describe what I am dealing with, but Precision wasn't able to correct.

I am not a professional, nor am I technically savvy, so I am starting to wonder if I am part of the problem? I have never performed a firmware update on camera? Could that be an issue?

Any help would be really appreciated! At the very least, I want to be able to best describe my problem to Ricoh when I call them.

Thanks!