Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Forum Member

Stuck contact pin on D-BG4

Hey all,

So I've apparently been screwing my battery grip on way too tight. I ended up with a dented contact on the K-5 (doubt that's fixable!) and one of the contact pins stuck in its down position. I took the top plate off, but after that it seems a lot of weather seals will get ripped if I keep going. Can anyone suggest how to fix this?

Thanks!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LG-D802  Photo 
05-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a paper clip or needle and push the offending pin down slightly and try to center it in the hole. They are spring loaded so if you can get it back to center it should just pop back out.

If the spring is broken or no longer working then taking it apart would be the next step.
05-05-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the same problem on my battery grip for K-3 but I tried to take it apart and lead me to nowhere (my seals are intact). I was not able to get to the pins. In my case one of the pins was loose, guessing that spring broke or something got broken there... Now some of the functions are affected like ISO button does not work and something else, but do not remember now. At least shutter works and battery too.

Funny enough that we have the same pin down or maybe not, but it is on the corner too...

Hope that someone will chime in with the solution.
05-05-2015, 04:02 PM   #4

I had a similar problem on my grip for my K5. I had two stuck pins. I tried to take it apart and fix it. I only made it worse once I had the pin connector taken apart. I finally gave up and bought a new one.

05-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simsburyphoto Quote
I had a similar problem on my grip for my K5. I had two stuck pins. I tried to take it apart and fix it. I only made it worse once I had the pin connector taken apart. I finally gave up and bought a new one.
Well, looks like I need to take this thing apart to get any further. Can you share some experience? What made it worse once you had the connector taken apart? Thanks!
06-07-2015, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm going to go ahead and open this up again, since I managed to fix the grip! Here's how:
- Do not open the grip up. You probably won't need to, and getting the casing for the contacts off without breaking something seems nearly impossible.
- Find a drill holder like this one used for making Warhammer models
- Find a drill bit approximately 0.6 - 0.8mm wide.
- Carefully drill into the hole around the stuck contact. Swivel the drill bit around a little while drilling.
- In regular intervals, remove the drill bit and turn the grip upside down. Pat gently on the bottom and the contact should spring out.
- Go forth and take portait-aligned photos without twisting your wrist out of alignment! =)

Good luck!
06-19-2015, 02:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are tutorials with pics to be found on the forum.

06-20-2015, 01:24 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
There are tutorials with pics to be found on the forum.
Hm, I didn't see any when I posted this back when. Post a link for posterity?
06-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have just entered "battery grip pins" in the search box at the top right of the page. There are some diy repair instructions for older battery grips which will give you an idea of how they come apart. The general design is probably similar to yours.