05-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Boy am I confused. LMAO

05-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have the DA L version (no quick shift) and if I ever bought another it would be the version with quick shift.
I sold my DA-L and bought the DA. I was getting focus ring burn from trying to Quick Shift the DA-L. Lost a few $$$ but am a much happier camper. Now, if I had known they were working on a WR version, I could have waited a bit longer ....
05-08-2015, 12:26 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree that quick shift is indispensable for this lens.

I just replaced my standard DA with the WR version, as I had become rather embittered that it only ever seemed to rain when I didn't have a wr lens available.

The WR version has not the slightest zoom creep or inner tube wobble. The standard DA was OK, but the new WR version has far better build quality. I mean, it really feels like a quality piece of kit, matching the camera body. It looks great on the camera too, as it has the nice 'dimply' finish as the K-7/5/3. Optically identical to the DA- can't see any improvement due to HD coating, but I don't normally shoot telephoto into the sun as I don't wish to go blind.
05-08-2015, 04:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
I agree that quick shift is indispensable for this lens.

I just replaced my standard DA with the WR version, as I had become rather embittered that it only ever seemed to rain when I didn't have a wr lens available.

The WR version has not the slightest zoom creep or inner tube wobble. The standard DA was OK, but the new WR version has far better build quality. I mean, it really feels like a quality piece of kit, matching the camera body. It looks great on the camera too, as it has the nice 'dimply' finish as the K-7/5/3. Optically identical to the DA- can't see any improvement due to HD coating, but I don't normally shoot telephoto into the sun as I don't wish to go blind.
I did the same thing, DA to WR, and was shocked at the difference in build quality. My old lens felt like a typical consumer grade lens, the new one is tight, no rattling or wobbling. I had extra incentive to upgrade, as my old lens had a weak corner.

I've often suggested to people in forums to bypass the DA L. I almost never use Q-S with standard zooms, but it is highly valuable with long teles, especially for birding, where contrasty branches are more attractive to AF points than little bird bodies.