Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
lens hoods for 2 kit K-50?

I recently bought a K-50 that was part of a Pentax two lens kit. Neither the 18-55mm DA WR zoom or the 50-200mm DA WR zoom came with a lens hood. So then I bought the Pentax PH-RBC52 and Pentax PHRBD49 lens hoods. Neither fit and it seems like the number of grooves and slots don't match.

Anyone know the correct petal-type bayonet style lens hood fits on either of these two kit lenses?

Also, is there a difference between these two kits lenses and the same Pentax lenses that are sold separately? The specs at the site where I bought the camera are not totally identical and thus implies they are not the exact same lenses.

05-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those are the correct ones for your lenses. Where did you buy them?
05-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Links to the lens database. But if I am reading it correctly it indicates the same hood models you purchased. Are you sure you have the WR versions? The non-WR versions do have different hoods.

So not sure what is wrong, unless the lens database is wrong...............
05-06-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Please let me know if you find the correct hoods. I have been told here in Alberta that they cant get the correct ones.

05-06-2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
So then I bought the Pentax PH-RBC52 and Pentax PHRBD49 lens hoods. Neither fit and it seems like the number of grooves and slots don't match.

Anyone know the correct petal-type bayonet style lens hood fits on either of these two kit lenses?
Hi Alex...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The hoods you bought are correct for the DAL 18-55 WR and DAL 50-200 WR. They also fit the DA WR versions of the same lenses. I bought these for a friend last year for her K-50 two-lens kit. You may want to talk to your seller. I think they may have sent you the wrong parts. The 49mm hood (PH-RBD49) for the 50-200 is a non-petal design, if that helps things any.

Steve
05-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Those are the correct ones for your lenses. Where did you buy them?
It was a kit from B&H. B&H suggested I use this forum to find the correct hoods because I bought the ones mentioned from them and they don't attach.
05-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

jatrax gave you links to the lenses, in the details of those lenses, the hoods are listed. This is where I got the info I gave you in my post.
for the 18-55mm WR
Hood
PH-RBC 52 mm

For the 50-200mm WR
Hood
PH-RBD 49mm

05-06-2015, 06:30 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It was a kit from B&H. B&H suggested I use this forum to find the correct hoods because I bought the ones mentioned from them and they don't attach.
I assume you mean the camera kit.

The part numbers in your original post are correct. Do they agree with the part numbers on your hoods? If so and the hoods are Pentax brand, you have the correct hoods. Assuming, of course, that your lenses are DA/DA L WR series. The WR versions are prominently labeled as such and have a bright red rubber seal on the lens mount:

Your 18-55 should look like this with gray color ring between the focus and zoom rings

The non-WR version has the gray color band towards the base of the lens and no red rubber seal.

That being said, be sure you are mounting the hood to the correct lens. The petal type (52mm) goes on the 18-55. The non-petal hood goes on the 50-200. Be sure to align the index mark and rotate clockwise to attach.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-06-2015 at 06:37 PM.
05-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There are different versions of the 18-55 and the 50-200 kit lens. The latest ones use the hoods with the part numbers you listed. Those are the hoods I have and they fit on my lenses.

Some versions of the 18-55 use a hood, PN PH-RBA 52mm. I have one that I would be happy to pass on if you can use it. I don't have the information on the other one but a few minutes in Google should ferret out the answer.
05-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I recently bought a K-50 that was part of a Pentax two lens kit. Neither the 18-55mm DA WR zoom or the 50-200mm DA WR zoom came with a lens hood. So then I bought the Pentax PH-RBC52 and Pentax PHRBD49 lens hoods. Neither fit and it seems like the number of grooves and slots don't match.

Also, is there a difference between these two kits lenses and the same Pentax lenses that are sold separately? The specs at the site where I bought the camera are not totally identical and thus implies they are not the exact same lenses.
Those hoods should fit, unless you have the non-WR versions of those lenses, which use different hoods...

The standalone DA lenses have the same external build but they use metal mounts and have quick-shift AF. The hoods are interchangeable.

You can read about all the different variants of the Pentax kit lenses in our lens database:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-L-Zoom-Lenses-c51.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-Zoom-Lenses-c43.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 18-55WR uses the Pentax petal hood #PH-RBC 52mm.
05-06-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, now I know the situation...mostly my bad, but partly the B&H website. As many of you said, the PH-RBC52mm does fit the 18-55mm WR AL zoom. But now I realize I ordered the PH-RBB52mm for the 50-200mm because the B&H link said that was the correct hood. For the 50-200mm WR ED zoom in the kit, I need the PH-RBD49mm (non-petal).
As a photo teacher with nearly 240 high school photo students/year, I try to encourage the students to consider Pentax over Canon and Nikon, principally because the weather-resistant bodies and lenses are ideal for the rain, ocean spray, and general humidity in Hawaii. But I'm disappointed and surprised that Pentax doesn't include a lens hood in their own kit, but they do if you buy the lens ala carte. You'd think a kit would be more complete.
Thanks again for everyone's fast input and sorry if I wasted any grey cells.
05-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Maybe, very maybe there is a difference between the DAL and DA versions of the lenses when it comes to the hood? Did anybody actually ever verify that the hood that comes with the DA version fits the DAL version?

Note: this only applies if Alex645's lenses are the DAL versions (although he/she mentions the DA versions)

But I'm disappointed and surprised that Pentax doesn't include a lens hood in their own kit, but they do if you buy the lens ala carte. You'd think a kit would be more complete.
Cost savings Makes the kit cheaper just as the plastic mount does. There was a time that the 18-55 lens that came with the kit was the same as the 'normal' one.

Last edited by sterretje; 05-06-2015 at 10:05 PM.
05-06-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm sure you can get the correct lens hoods online from B&H, Adorama, Amazon, or Pentax themselves. I've seen mixed reviews on the non-Pentax versions which are much cheaper....both in price and quality. For the Pentax 18-55mm DAL WR AL that came with the 2 lens K-50 kit, the model lens hood you want is PH-RBC52mm. For the Pentax 50-200mm DAL WR ED that came with the K-50 kit, you want the PH-RBD49mm.
05-07-2015, 03:04 AM   #15
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

as an alternative, this hood works with the 18-55mm lens:

Vello 52mm Snap-on Tulip Lens Hood (Version II) LHS-52II B&H

but I rarely use a hood on that lens; on the 50-200mm lens, I use a Kalt screw in metal hood:

Kalt 49mm Metal Lens Hood NPMLH49 B&H Photo Video