Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Solved - What setting am I missing? (Images in PS CC look grainy, but are not)

I've noticed this ever since I picked up the K-3 (I never had this issue with the K-x, K-30, or any of my assorted point and shoots).

Basically if I go into LR and import a shot (or even if I straight up open it in PS) the image appears VERY grainy on my monitor. The image isn't - when I save it it looks just fine with the expected levels of noise or whatever - but while in PS and while I'm editing it, the image looks absolutely horrible. The best description would be that it looks like it was shot at about 2 levels too high of an ISO on the camera. This of course makes some types of editing (namely noise removal and sharpening) problematic for me as I have to second guess what I'm looking at all the time now.

I'm assuming I either have a setting of some sort off or Photoshop just can't handle images the size of the ones the K-3 is kicking out. Is it the former or the latter? If its the former, what setting do I need to find and change so that things look smooth and noise-free on screen again?

EDIT: Important point, it only does this with the RAW files (PEF or DNG makes no difference). JPGs render just fine.

EDIT II: Wouldn't you know, I finally post a whiny help request after months of dealing with this - only to answer my own question. Theres a drop menu labeled "Camera RAW Preferences" that allows you to sharpen the images if you wish or not. For some crazy reason that was set to 'yes' and was causing my problem. I realized when I mentioned that it was a RAW rendering issue where I may look to see what was what, and sure enough...

I don't remember ever changing that, so maybe when I switched to Photoshop CC it was auto-defaulted to being on. Regardless, it was annoying. VERY annoying.

Last edited by Sagitta; 05-07-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Figured it out...
05-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I've noticed this ever since I picked up the K-3 (I never had this issue with the K-x, K-30, or any of my assorted point and shoots).

Basically if I go into LR and import a shot (or even if I straight up open it in PS) the image appears VERY grainy on my monitor. The image isn't - when I save it it looks just fine with the expected levels of noise or whatever - but while in PS and while I'm editing it, the image looks absolutely horrible. The best description would be that it looks like it was shot at about 2 levels too high of an ISO on the camera. This of course makes some types of editing (namely noise removal and sharpening) problematic for me as I have to second guess what I'm looking at all the time now.

I'm assuming I either have a setting of some sort off or Photoshop just can't handle images the size of the ones the K-3 is kicking out. Is it the former or the latter? If its the former, what setting do I need to find and change so that things look smooth and noise-free on screen again?

EDIT: Important point, it only does this with the RAW files (PEF or DNG makes no difference). JPGs render just fine.

EDIT II: Wouldn't you know, I finally post a whiny help request after months of dealing with this - only to answer my own question. Theres a drop menu labeled "Camera RAW Preferences" that allows you to sharpen the images if you wish or not. For some crazy reason that was set to 'yes' and was causing my problem. I realized when I mentioned that it was a RAW rendering issue where I may look to see what was what, and sure enough...

I don't remember ever changing that, so maybe when I switched to Photoshop CC it was auto-defaulted to being on. Regardless, it was annoying. VERY annoying.
Its double the megapixels of the K-x. Your screen is displaying a lot more information and squeezing that image down to fit on your screen is probably causing some display issues. If you zoom into the image a few steps, I bet that issue would go away. If you use Noise reduction software, you should be zooming in to 100% to see the effects.
05-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

LR also has a default amount of noise reduction on import, but if you have reset that to 0 (because you can set your own defaults to override the usual ones) then pretty much any RAW file will look a bit noisy...
05-07-2015, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Its double the megapixels of the K-x. Your screen is displaying a lot more information and squeezing that image down to fit on your screen is probably causing some display issues. If you zoom into the image a few steps, I bet that issue would go away. If you use Noise reduction software, you should be zooming in to 100% to see the effects.
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
LR also has a default amount of noise reduction on import, but if you have reset that to 0 (because you can set your own defaults to override the usual ones) then pretty much any RAW file will look a bit noisy...
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote

^^^

It was the auto-sharpening applied in the PS options.

05-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
man, i dont believe it.i just checked my PS options in camera raw and there was some slight sharpening. i thought my camera couldnt handle ISO above 800. i never noticed it with ISO 100-200 but at ISO above 800 it was really noticeable. from one side im glad that i found out, but on the other hand im frustrated since I believe I could have got much better results with some of my photos
05-08-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
man, i dont believe it.i just checked my PS options in camera raw and there was some slight sharpening. i thought my camera couldnt handle ISO above 800. i never noticed it with ISO 100-200 but at ISO above 800 it was really noticeable. from one side im glad that i found out, but on the other hand im frustrated since I believe I could have got much better results with some of my photos
Thats what my issue was! I was blaming the K-3 for a while until I realized that everything not-Photoshop looked decent. It took my actually typing out 'it seems to have something to do with RAW' that made me realize where to look exactly in the settings. I suspect PS was sharpening the noise making the displayed image look like utter crap.

I almost feel like I have a new camera again.