Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Basile Quote
...Jpeg colour is disapointing for the K3.
That's more of a built-in processing problem than a real failing of the camera.

QuoteQuote:
The reason I asked why Pentax went from CCD to CMOS is that I find after 7 years my K10D makes such good pictures and is based on a CCD.

A recent article posted on this site revisited the K10D and still rates it as a very good /great camera if you do not make enlargments beyond 11 by 14.
Eh...you own the camera. Be your own judge. I recently had one of my K10D pics made into a metal 16X20 print and I couldn't tell a bit of difference between it and the one I had made from my K01. I think I'm going to have to make a bigger jump in megapixels to see any real-world results.

QuoteQuote:
The initial thought for me was that I've had my K10D for 7 years. It makes great pictures and I was wondering if I should upgrade to K5 or K3 or wait for the full frame from Pentax. For me, the real upgrade would be video.
You and me both, my friend. As far as still pics go...and my current uses for them...my K10D still gets the job done. I'd love to upgrade, but I'm wanting better still quality (at base ISO) combined with good (hopefully great) video capability simply because I want to use my Pentax and my arsenal of lenses to kick the a** of the Canon 5D MkIII my department recently bought.

05-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

What I understand from the replies to my question is: CCD is more or less limited to 10 MegaPixel for consumer grade DSLR for cost reasons, CCD is at a disadvantage as to speed for continuoius shooting mode due to a limits on the number of write channels (2 channels) to write pictures.on the memory cards. The heat generated by the CCD wear off batteries faster therefore CCD based DSLR can shoot less pictures. 2 Channels is not enouph for efficient movie modes. CCD makes it very difficult to provide live view. CCD require a lot of computing power to do it.

You left out noise performance, Jean.

Crank your K10D up to ISO 3200 and compare to the same shot with even a K30 and see the difference.

This has got some of the 645D crowd upgrading to the CMOS sensor of the 645Z.

The JPGs from any camera are a matter of taste - you're better off doing them yourself from the RAW files. :-)

Last edited by clackers; 05-08-2015 at 03:07 PM.
05-08-2015, 05:19 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You left out noise performance, Jean.

Crank your K10D up to ISO 3200 and compare to the same shot with even a K30 and see the difference.
That's fair. The K10D has its appeal, but the majority of it is at its base ISO.
05-11-2015, 10:12 AM   #19
Site Supporter

The initial thought for me was that I've had my K10D for 7 years. It makes great pictures and I was wondering if I should upgrade to K5 or K3 or wait for the full frame from Pentax. For me, the real upgrade would be video. I mostly do porttrait, landscape a still photos. All recent Pentax DSLR use CMOS sensors.I was wondering why.
I bought my K10D new in 2007 and have been shooting with a K-3 since April of last year. I can assure you that the K-3 will outperform your K10D in all aspects and that there is no substantive difference in color rendering (JPEG or otherwise) between the two cameras. I can also attest that battery life between the two cameras is about the same. Bit depth for the K-3 (14 bit) is greater than the 12 bits supported by your K10D and is not really related to CCD vs. CMOS.

Your concerns and comments about video indicate that your experience in that area is probably about the same as my own (virtually none), though I can suggest that there are very few (no?) interchangeable lens cameras outside of those dedicated to video that have all the features on a reviewer's check list. It is enough to note that at least one user on this site uses a gaggle of K-3 for professional video production for her corporate employer. As for me, I have been pretty happy with the video clips I have made.

Your decision to stay with the K10D is probably a good one if you are happy with the camera and have not come across any areas where it limits you in terms of either utility or creativity. It is a great camera and I am happy that mine is still hard at work with a new owner. A few days ago, I printed one of my K10D photos to 13"x19". This required a fair amount of up-sampling by the printer driver, but the results are still quite striking. A similar-sized print is within the native resolution capabilities of the K-3, but big deal.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-11-2015 at 10:20 AM.
05-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
That's fair. The K10D has its appeal, but the majority of it is at its base ISO.
Assuming that K10D performs the same as K200D every ISO up to 500 is safe withouut further PP, but yes with quality lenses (sharp close to wide open) I tend to use 100 - 160 range for best results.
05-14-2015, 04:03 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Yesterday I've been cleaning old pictures mess in lightroom, and found one nice picture. Oh, beautiful CCD grain, color, dimensional - love it. I was ready to pull out my K200D, but checked exif first.
It was Canon with its 40mm pancake STM, which I bought new only for $100 on sale
Well, it was all about light and me somehow got the appropriate settings
Lesson learned. It's not only about gear, price of gear, but really about light and skills, imo.