Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #1

CCD versus CMOS

Do you know why Pentax uses CMOS over CCD in camera format like the K3. My K10D has CCD. I understand that motion picture a better with CCD than CMOS. From camera reviews Pentax motion picture is not so great compared to Sony and Canon.
Regards,

05-07-2015, 05:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Cost...
I don't believe Sony and Canon use CCD in their DSLRs.

Not that any of us are in a position to change what manufacturers choose.
05-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Cost...
I don't believe Sony and Canon use CCD in their DSLRs.

Not that any of us are in a position to change what manufacturers choose.
No they do not but from Digital Camera review they state the Pentax is weaker in that respect
05-07-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The debate was really over years ago.

CMOS Is Winning the Camera Sensor Battle, and Here's Why | TechHive

05-07-2015, 05:31 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Basile Quote
No they do not but from Digital Camera review they state the Pentax is weaker in that respect
It's not the sensor's fault, just the way the camera compresses/outputs its files. Pentax's auxiliary video functionality is also a bit lacking, but it should still be more than sufficient for casual use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-07-2015, 05:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks,
Learned a lot today
05-07-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Jean, none of the DSLR manufacturers use CCD sensors any more.

Where is this digital camera review you are talking about? Link please.
05-07-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
Pentax K-3 Review: Digital Photography Review

As requested K3 Review from Digital camera review look at the conclusion

05-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Basile Quote
Pentax K-3 Review: Digital Photography Review

As requested K3 Review from Digital camera review look at the conclusion
They do not even mention CCD vs CMOS, Jean - which is what you titled this thread, you thought it so important.

If you mean video, you said "From camera reviews Pentax motion picture is not so great compared to Sony and Canon", but the review you have linked does not say that - it says about equal (even though personally I don't believe this to be the case):
The K-3 offers the strongest video specs yet for a Pentax, including a headphone socket for monitoring the recorded audio. We're not convinced the video quality is sufficiently high that many people will be paying that level of attention to the audio quality of their recordings, especially given the lack of focus aids while recording video. Overall, then, the K-3's video performance is about par for the current generation of DSLRs, but not strong enough to sway you if video is your priority.
05-08-2015, 07:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter

In the overall conclusion it does state that the K-3 wouldn't be the best choice if video is the priority, and everything I've read would confirm that. I don't know personally because I don't do video, priority is stills and Pentax excels at that. Frankly if video was my thing I wouldn't get a DSLR, I'd get a video camera.
05-08-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I don't believe you can have Live View with a CCD.
05-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter

CCD versus CMOS still image comparisons have been long debated. I think the CMOS sensors produce fine results. Big reasons to move away from CMOS was the fact that CCD didn't offer the possibility of live view or video.
05-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a Canon Powershot S200 for my mother from a clearance sale. Got CCD, got live view, and the first copy had a hot pixel on it.

See http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/pohjalai/s200.jpg for how it behved. (Zoom to the space bar.)
05-08-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I do like the images from my Leica M9 (CCD) - but also from the CMOS in my K5 & Sony A7. Good results can be had with either type, but CMOS has the other advantages as mentioned above.
05-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hi,
You`re right the article I provided do not readily compared Pentax to other brand specifically but state that the video is not up to standard. and Jpeg colour is disapointing for the K3. The reason I asked why Pentax went from CCD to CMOS is that I find after 7 years my K10D makes such good pictures and is based on a CCD. My question got answered, see below. it is not a critique on Pentax brand I still find that Pentax provide more bang for the buck than any other brand. That is why I bought a Pentax K10D in the first place.

A recent article posted on this site revisited the K10D and still rates it as a very good /great camera if you do not make enlargments beyond 11 by 14.

The initial thought for me was that I've had my K10D for 7 years. It makes great pictures and I was wondering if I should upgrade to K5 or K3 or wait for the full frame from Pentax. For me, the real upgrade would be video. I mostly do porttrait, landscape a still photos. All recent Pentax DSLR use CMOS sensors.I was wondering why.

What I understand from the replies to my question is: CCD is more or less limited to 10 MegaPixel for consumer grade DSLR for cost reasons, CCD is at a disadvantage as to speed for continuoius shooting mode due to a limits on the number of write channels (2 channels) to write pictures.on the memory cards. The heat generated by the CCD wear off batteries faster therefore CCD based DSLR can shoot less pictures. 2 Channels is not enouph for efficient movie modes. CCD makes it very difficult to provide live view. CCD require a lot of computing power to do it.

On the other hand CCD has more bit depth per pixel so it provide better colour rendition (Most of the time). Thought this is often unoticed by most users.

I would like to thank every one for the very enlightning responses. My own concludion is: I`ll wait a bit to upgrade to an other Pentax DSLR camera body and save my money to buy a Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4 ED [IF] SDM or buy a good macro lens. to add to my good glass collection..