Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2015, 05:36 AM   #1

Does K3 meter work on manual?

I am using a 85mm F2 lens. I don't see any metering info. Is there a trick to getting a meter reading?

Thanks

05-08-2015, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Meter shows as +/- exposed based on your exposure settings you manually put in the camera. Though I dont have a K3, the green button will perform a stop down, and allow the camera to make a meter reading at your desired aperture, and determine an exposure. If I recall correctly, it will meter in Center Weighted only.

Check this thread out...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
05-08-2015, 07:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I am using a 85mm F2 lens. I don't see any metering info. Is there a trick to getting a meter reading?

Thanks
Do you mean a digital display of a light meter? The only thing I can add is that some of the camera models will display a light meter while in Manual mode but the lens has to be the type with electric contacts: A, F, FA, DA and such.
05-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #4

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-man...ic-lenses.html

If the lens has electrical contacts ("A" series or later) the exposure bars will show when you turn on the meter in manual mode. Adjust shutter speed and f-stop with the eDials.

If it is a non-A type lens (no electrical contacts or taken off "A" setting) - the exposure bars will show in manual mode when you turn on the meter and activate the DOF preview. Provided that DOF preview is set to Optical in the setup menus). This will stop down K-mount lens (screwmount lens have to be manually stopped down), take a light reading through the lens. Adjust exposure by the shutter speed eDial and f-stop with the aperture ring on the lens.

05-11-2015, 10:23 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Is there a trick to getting a meter reading?
There may be a trick to seeing a display in the viewfinder if you have the leveling display turned on. The two features occupy the same viewfinder real estate.

Steve
05-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You say an 85/2 lens. Is this a Pentax m series lens, a Russian 85/2. Or what ?

If the lens is KA mount or newer, and you are in manual mode, the light meter shows across the bottom of the viewfinder. If it is a k mount with no aperture contacts or a m42 lens you need to activate the DOF preview to activate the light meter, or press the green button to match shutter speeds to the aperture selected