Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

sharing filters on different lenses (DA18-135 and DA55-300WR)

Hi,
I currently own a DA18-135, and I want to add a DA55-300.
I also want to start using a circular Polarizer, and wondered if I could do with a single filter for both lenses just to save some costs.

I found there are filter reduction rings, and I also found they go both ways, so I have two options:

1) Use a 62mm filter, with a reduction on the 55-300. My question here is: Would the lens hood still fit?

2) Use a 58mm filter, with a reduction on the 18-135. My question here is: Would this cause vignetting on wide end?

If anyone here uses one of these combinations, it would be nice to hear their experience.
Also are there things to consider on this subject?

Peter

05-08-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeterL Quote
1) Use a 62mm filter, with a reduction on the 55-300. My question here is: Would the lens hood still fit?
Not likely.
2) Use a 58mm filter, with a reduction on the 18-135. My question here is: Would this cause vignetting on wide end?
Possibly. Some of the 'slim' styles are better at that. Most likely would be an issue at the wide end, not sure about the long end.

Personally, I find step up/down rings fiddly and though they seem like a good idea in practice I never use them. I have over time just invested in the CPL filters I need.

My suggestion would be to get the 62mm one because I would assume the 18-135 would be your most used lens. Then you can see if it can be adapted to the 55-300.

Not sure what you use the 55-300 for but if for birds keep in mind that a change in direction in relation to the sun will change the CPL effect. So if you are panning with a bird you would need to continually adjust the CPL as you pan. Which is never going to happen of course.

And if you go this route you know it will work without the hood at any rate.
05-08-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I have both the 18-135mm wr and the 55-300mm wr.
Here is my suggestion.

Buy a 62mm CPL (I went with Tiffen, great quality around $25)

Buy a 58mm UV (I went with Hoya, great quality around $20)

Here is why:
The 18-135 is mostly used for walk-around. I tend to hit trails with this lens and the CPL filter is great for when I can setup and compose the shot and set the filter to accommodate.
The 55-300 is mostly used for birds and wildlife (YMMV). I tend to shoot most subjects in flight or on the move and as jatrax said, you will likely not be able to rotate the filter and get frustrated with the change in lighting.
I don't like using filters in general, but let me finish! The 58mm Hoya I have is highly rated and does not affect IQ (not noticeably at the least). I live at the beach, and a big worry of mine is when the winds pick up and sand is blowing... I'd rather replace a $20-30 filter than have my front element scratched or etched by blowing sand. It's happened to a friend of mine while filming surfers during a hurricane.

All in all, just invest the extra 25$ to have a filter on each and leave them on.
By the time you purchase a reducing ring, you'll save $20...
The convenience alone of having to not change the filter everytime you change a lens, as well as not having to worry about panning with the CPL is well worth $20 alone...
05-08-2015, 02:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well thanks for your answers so far. It's already helpful.

To clarify a bit more: Yeah wildlife (not just flying birds) is the primary reason I want the 55-300. Secondary could be occasionally at outdoor swimming competitions.

To be honest, I kinda expected that people would say: go for a 58mm CPL, since below 55mm a CPL is less desirable. (I read this somewhere on the forum).

And I thought the better CPL's were more expansive, more like 60-80 euro's, even going up to well above 100. If the $25 Tiffen is ok, then I'm certainly not going to bother with reduction rings.

And yes UV filters will be added for each lens, for protection, and keeping dirt away from the front elements.

Peter

05-08-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter

To be honest, I kinda expected that people would say: go for a 58mm CPL, since below 55mm a CPL is less desirable. (I read this somewhere on the forum).
Huh? Got a link for that? Never heard of it before.

One thing to watch for is that wide angle lenses, below maybe 20mm on APS-C will tend to have an uneven result with the CPL. one area of the sky will be much darker than another. This is just because the lens is taking in such a wide field of view. You may notice this on your 18-135 at the extreme wide end. Maybe this is what you meant above, but it should not be an issue except at much wider than 55mm.
05-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Huh? Got a link for that? Never heard of it before.
Here is the quote:

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Quote:
Do you go for maximum polarization (e.g., max blue sky), or do you back off a bit?
See above: I do not use it for blue sky except maybe, possibly, sometimes on the 50-135. On most of the wider angles I find the effect on the sky too uneven.
But I made my decision, I will go for the 62mm CPL, and try out what it can do in the next few months, and then I will see if I want a CPL for the 55-300 as well.

Thanks for your input,
Peter
05-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Hi,
I currently own a DA18-135, and I want to add a DA55-300.

Peter
2 - yes it will, in fact get a thin polarizer, I get a little vignetting sometimes with no filter. I'm not sure on number 1 but I don't think it would fit, and the hood is definitely needed.

Well thanks for your answers so far. It's already helpful.
And yes UV filters will be added for each lens, for protection, and keeping dirt away from the front elements.
Peter
UV filters will most likely degrade your IQ. The hood is a much better protector of the lens. When I first got my 55-300 I also got a UV filter, I was really disappointed until I read some threads here and decided to try it without the filter. Wow what a difference. Now there may be some really good filters that don't affect the IQ much, but they are just not needed.
05-09-2015, 07:58 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Here is the quote:

See above: I do not use it for blue sky except maybe, possibly, sometimes on the 50-135. On most of the wider angles I find the effect on the sky too uneven.
I believe you miss-interpreted that quote. They are saying they use it on the 50-135. And that on wider angles the sky effect is uneven. Both statements are true but not related. "Wider angles" is more like 20mm. Of course it depends on the sky, the polarization used and your relationship to the sun but generally I have no issues with 24mm and longer. YMMV

Just watch it on the wide end of the 18-135 and you should be fine.

And I'll add that UV filters serve no purpose with digital. The hood provides much better utility. If you feel you must have a UV filter for peace of mind, make sure you get a good multi-coated one. Otherwise you will notice increased ghosting in many circumstances.

05-09-2015, 08:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

...I made my decision, I will go for the 62mm CPL, and try out what it can do in the next few months, and then I will see if I want a CPL for the 55-300 as well.
You don't need a separate filter for your 55-300. You're 62mm will work fine depending on how you shoot.
05-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

1. no, the hood don't fit (I try and, believe me, don't work); and I prefer the hood
2. I don't know, but I presume yes
It's better and more reliable (yes, also, more expensive) to use one lens with your's filter