Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 126
mystery lenses

Tall order here. can anyone ID this stuff from looks alone?

http://i.imgur.com/zPBVAUZ.png


05-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,770
Not from that picture. Maybe it is just me but I cannot even read most of the text on the box from that. Maybe somebody else has better eyes.

Post pictures of the boxes showing text, the lens mounts, and any text on the lens.

---------- Post added 05-10-15 at 09:12 AM ----------

Maybe send the picture to one of those TV shows where they blow up a 640x480 frame and get a license plate from a mile away. In a reflection on a coffee cup.
05-10-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian
TaoMaas's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
Obviously, the top middle lens is probably a Chinar 28mm f2.8. The lens to the right of that looks to be a 35-85mm lens of some sort. I don't mean a zoom...just a prime in that range...35...50...85. If the lenses were part of a group that someone owned, I'd guess it's a 50mm. The zoom on the left is an older design and could be hit or miss as far as quality goes. If you're looking for primes, the Chinar might be worth trying, depending upon the price. Is this a lot of lenses that you're thinking about buying? Are you sure they're K-mount?
05-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,002
The middle one is a Chinar! The first and the third are not Chinars, but some other brand -- both the same brand judging by the boxes being the same style, and also a cheap brand (similar to Chinar) -- don't recognize it.

05-10-2015, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,939
I'm thinking the left and right lenses may both be Sears lenses from the boxes. The right one DEFINITELY is a Sears.

If I were to take a stab, the right would be a 28mm Sears Model 202 (that strip of white on the lens is the text reading "MOD. NO. 202 ####### KOREA"). Its not a 35, 50, or 85 because Sears did not have a 35 or 85mm prime, and the 50's were either Chinons or Ricohs and were never Model 202's.

The lens to the left is huge - if it IS a Sears its most likely a 60-300mm macro zoom or possibly the 80-205mm (both sported longer sized front pieces past the zoom ring, the 80-200 was kind of snubnosed and smallish which rules that one out). The box looks off though, so I'm much less certain on this one.

EDIT: Left lens is the 60-300mm - the reason the box looked off is its on its side. The words LENS would be on the size facing the top of the photo, out of view.

05-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Nanaimo, British Columbia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 328
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'm thinking the left and right lenses may both be Sears lenses from the boxes. The right one DEFINITELY is a Sears.

If I were to take a stab, the right would be a 28mm Sears Model 202 (that strip of white on the lens is the text reading "MOD. NO. 202 ####### KOREA"). Its not a 35, 50, or 85 because Sears did not have a 35 or 85mm prime, and the 50's were either Chinons or Ricohs and were never Model 202's.

The lens to the left is huge - if it IS a Sears its most likely a 60-300mm macro zoom or possibly the 80-205mm (both sported longer sized front pieces past the zoom ring, the 80-200 was kind of snubnosed and smallish which rules that one out). The box looks off though, so I'm much less certain on this one.

EDIT: Left lens is the 60-300mm - the reason the box looked off is its on its side. The words LENS would be on the size facing the top of the photo, out of view.
I believe some sears lenses have the Ricoh pin..........in case you are thinking of buying. Get be dealt with but make sure you look prior to mounting.
05-10-2015, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,939
Even lenses of the same design may or may not sport the pin, it all depends on what the year was it was made in.

I have three Sears 202 135's. One has no contacts at all (and no pin), while the other two sport contacts and the pin. I've heard stories of lenses with no contacts and all yet sporting a pin as well, so its really a matter of being alert for the thing and taking care of it when you get one. Fixing the pin is usually incredibly simple and about a 5 oir 10 minute job (mostly entailing the time spent in the removal and replacement of the mount).

As an aside, I'd bet even money those lenses came of a Sears KS camera, possibly the KSX-P. The KSX-P was a clone of the Chinon Program - 5, and would possibly have shipped with a Chinon lens or lenses (Chinars were distributed by Chinon). The Sears 50mm that shipped with that camera was a rebranded Chinon 50mm and is a good deal nicer than most of the Ricoh 50's Sears otherwise had with its cameras. Thats no knock against the Ricoh 50's, the Chinon is just that much better.
05-10-2015, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 897
I tried to sharpen the image a bit... still mostly illegible, but I think the number on the right hand box says something like KP347.



The box on the left? absolutely no hope. You should contact the seller for better images.

05-10-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 126
Original Poster
Sorry, mother's day ran late. Left you guys with this and no other info. Was going to add more but no time. This is what I got.

The first lens is a 60-300mm f 4.0-5.6 zoom lens and it comes with a polarized filter. The second lens is a 50 mm f 1.7. The third one is a 28mm f 2.8 wide angle lens.

To answer the question, yeah I was thinking about jumping on it if the glass was known to be decent and not suck. I don't know enough about this stuff to avoid getting screwed.
I've asked for more info. Like better pics or to type out the box by lost communication with the seller. I assume mother's day and they got busy. The price is more then affordable but 3 pieces of crap are still crap even if you get them cheap
05-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
K David's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,312
QuoteOriginally posted by SininStyle Quote
The first lens is a 60-300mm f 4.0-5.6 zoom lens and it comes with a polarized filter. The second lens is a 50 mm f 1.7. The third one is a 28mm f 2.8 wide angle lens.
In this order: run away fast, has potential, and has potential. If you could get the two primes for around $15 USD, you probably got a fair to good price.
05-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 126
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
In this order: run away fast, has potential, and has potential. If you could get the two primes for around $15 USD, you probably got a fair to good price.
Thats a shame. They have it listed for $50 obo for all 3. Thought there would be a solid prime in the mix but couldn't make out a thing. Thanks for the insight and letting me borrow all your experience
05-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #12
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
I believe some sears lenses have the Ricoh pin..........in case you are thinking of buying. Get be dealt with but make sure you look prior to mounting.
This is especially true with the Korean made ones.
05-11-2015, 06:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian
Sagitta's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Maine
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,939
QuoteOriginally posted by SininStyle Quote
Thats a shame. They have it listed for $50 obo for all 3. Thought there would be a solid prime in the mix but couldn't make out a thing. Thanks for the insight and letting me borrow all your experience
$50 is actually not a bad price for all that. I'm assuming the boxes for the 50 and the 28mm are reversed.

The 60-300 is not a bad lens for what it is. I wouldn't spend much more than $30 on it, however. (A good rule of thumb for department store zooms - do not pay more than the max focal length /10 in cash.) Don't buy it expecting to get a poor man's Bigma, because thats just not going to happen. If you buy it with the understanding that its going to have some sort of character then go for it.

That lens on the far right is almost definitely the 28mm macro. If you get a good copy of it, its very decent lens, and very sharp to boot without much stopping down.

I want to say that that 50mm is the Chinon-made Sears 50mm. The smudge of green on the ring kind of gives it away - thats the f/22 marking on the aperture ring. If so, thats a VERY nice 50mm and well worth at least $20 if its in nice shape all by itself.

If I had $50 to spare and I didn't already have 2 out of 3 of those lenses (I lack the 60-300), I'd say go for it.

As an aside, those Model 202's are (probably) made by Samyang. They made some very decent primes, and some not very decent zooms back in the day. That 60-300 probably sports the 'A' function as well. It seems to have been phased in at some point right around the time electronic metering ability was added to Pentax lenses.

My own personal evaluation (provided I have the lenses guessed right), provided the lenses are in decent shape:

Sears 60-300 = ~$30 ( 300mm/10 = $30 )
Chinon-made Sears 50mm = ~$20, and I'm lowballing it. Its the best Sears fast 50 out there. The PF lens reviews for the Chinon rank it at 9.17 out of 12 reviews, with the average price paid $25.
Sears 28mm = ~$20

If they have the lot for sale for $50, its worth it provided you get it knowing that they're all manual focus, may or may not have the A settings (the zoom almost definitely does, the other two most likely do not), and will have the Ricoh pin that you'll need to deal with.
05-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #14
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Albums
Posts: 126
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
$50 is actually not a bad price for all that. I'm assuming the boxes for the 50 and the 28mm are reversed.

The 60-300 is not a bad lens for what it is. I wouldn't spend much more than $30 on it, however. (A good rule of thumb for department store zooms - do not pay more than the max focal length /10 in cash.) Don't buy it expecting to get a poor man's Bigma, because thats just not going to happen. If you buy it with the understanding that its going to have some sort of character then go for it.

That lens on the far right is almost definitely the 28mm macro. If you get a good copy of it, its very decent lens, and very sharp to boot without much stopping down.

I want to say that that 50mm is the Chinon-made Sears 50mm. The smudge of green on the ring kind of gives it away - thats the f/22 marking on the aperture ring. If so, thats a VERY nice 50mm and well worth at least $20 if its in nice shape all by itself.

If I had $50 to spare and I didn't already have 2 out of 3 of those lenses (I lack the 60-300), I'd say go for it.

As an aside, those Model 202's are (probably) made by Samyang. They made some very decent primes, and some not very decent zooms back in the day. That 60-300 probably sports the 'A' function as well. It seems to have been phased in at some point right around the time electronic metering ability was added to Pentax lenses.

My own personal evaluation (provided I have the lenses guessed right), provided the lenses are in decent shape:

Sears 60-300 = ~$30 ( 300mm/10 = $30 )
Chinon-made Sears 50mm = ~$20, and I'm lowballing it. Its the best Sears fast 50 out there. The PF lens reviews for the Chinon rank it at 9.17 out of 12 reviews, with the average price paid $25.
Sears 28mm = ~$20

If they have the lot for sale for $50, its worth it provided you get it knowing that they're all manual focus, may or may not have the A settings (the zoom almost definitely does, the other two most likely do not), and will have the Ricoh pin that you'll need to deal with.
Thanks for the well explained thought process. Helps a lot. I am just going to walk away from it. The seller never got back to me the second time. There are no pics of the glass only those side shots. Plus being manual and dealing with a pin I think I will just keep looking.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, lens, pentax help, photography, picture, post, text, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Sigma 35mm Exposure Mystery Solved! Auto EV Compensation on the K3 Paul the Sunman Pentax K-3 5 01-11-2015 04:37 PM
Import Mystery troika Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 15 11-29-2014 04:23 PM
Abstract Mystery Photo Dewman Post Your Photos! 2 11-17-2014 08:51 PM
Landscape Mystery Canyon clawhammer Post Your Photos! 2 06-15-2013 01:33 PM
DA zoom LTD and DA* mystery lenses Blue Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 02-08-2013 04:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:51 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top